Camera cell phones

My brother asked me what is the resolution of photos taken with a camera phone - I have no clue, being a regular

camera user (Digital and film SLR's). I read somewhere it's 5 mp/photo.

Does anyone have current info on this? I know he has a Motorola RAZR (recent model).

I would think cell phone photos aren't as good resolution-wise as ones taken with a point and shoot or better camera.

Any info would be appreciated.

Sheryl

There is abit of hokem with many cellphone cameras; and bubble pack cameras. Many OUTPUT a X.Y megapixel image but really dont have a X.Y megapixel sensor. When In tested a bunch of mostly VGA class cellphones a couple of years ago; many actually shot a better image in the natural resolution of the sensor; the NON upsized; NON decal number.

Thanks for all your help. I was very enlightened by all the responses. I didn't think the resolution was all that. I'm sure it'll be at least 2-3 years before we get the 5 mp camera phones here.

the other question I have - can they ever be photoshopped into something clear and sharp, My brother sent me some pics from his phone and I couldn't really do much, as the resolution was not great, and the image looked "pixely".

Sheryl

Thanks for all your help. I was very enlightened by all the responses. I didn't think the resolution was all that. I'm sure

it'll be at least 2-3 years before we get the 5 mp camera phones here.

the other question I have - can they ever be photoshopped into something clear and sharp, My brother sent me

some pics from his phone and I couldn't really do much, as the resolution was not great, and the image

looked "pixely".

Sheryl

My daughter has the brand new RAZR2 V8 ( I got it for her the beginning of the summer she is still working the cost of the phone off ) It has a 2 megapixel multi-shot camera. It actually takes nice little snap-shots.