Retiring CF Cards

duncan ireland

[[ What strikes me funny is that this "don't edit pics in camera, format in camera" -view seems to think that formatting in camera is somehow inherently safe, but doesn't trust the writers of the camera software to be able to delete files from a dead simple filesystem without messing it up.]

I think it's really funny (read: naive) that you think camera manufactures have implemented FAT exactly the way Microsoft says everyone should.

It's pretty well established that a camera knows more about the file system it is creating on your card than Microsoft does. The reason for formatting in-camera and not just erasing and not just formatting in your computer is specifically because of that fact. There is no way you can tell exactly what the camera is doing on the card because the camera companies don't release that information.

The number of threads on photo.net describing image problems that were fixed by formatting in camera instead of simply erasing or formatting in the PC is large. You should try reading up on them sometimes.

@Brent:

I even have the old 32MB Card that came with my old Canon G3. :)

I now keep this to save the settings on my Nikon D300, so if I alter some of the custom settings banks, it is a "piece of cake" to return to my original settings from this old card.

/PC