Novatron is changing hands.

todd_k.

Well, the only strobe manufacture in Texas has been gobbled up by Omega Satter. It appears that everybody at

Novatron TX has been fired and the companies assets have been moved to Maryland where Omega Satter will continue

manufacturing Novatron gear. I just love reading about another great Texas business being sold out to a monster

like OS, and all of the employees being fired. But I guess we should at least be grateful that production was

sent to Maryland instead of Mexico or China. Read more here:

http://reviews.photographyreview.com/blog/omegasatter-acquires-novatron-electronics-corporation/#more-1299

Not too suprised-- I hate to see a business relocate and people lose their jobs like that; but Novatron's pack/head systems has left something to be desired. They produce a lot of symetrical packs that have an average recycle time. They are a little more expensive than the Speedotron Brownline (which I'm not a fan of either), but the Brownline still allows asymetrical distrobution and a faster recycle time. The only drawback is Brown doesn't offer any fan cooled heads for a price as economical as the pack itself (I think they only have one fan cooled unit, but don't quote me).

So, this could be good. Maybe OS will produce a new line of Nova that will appeal to the entry level crowd. Something w/ controls like Norman provides. If so, I think they will have a nice place in the market.

I guess this shouldn't come as a surprise. Novatron appears to have been foundering the last few years, with few product releases and a shrinking promotional presence. Most of the products they've produced have been solid, but they've been either unwilling or unable to invest in relatively simple things. For instance, they don't have a beauty-dish or sports reflector in their accessory line.

Of course, this is the industry trend. Both Photogenic and Norman have been sold to a larger photographic-products company. Some of the original staff in those takeovers did move with the operation, but I suspect many in Dallas will not be making the trip. We can only hope that Omega Satter will make the investments in the brand that make it a more visible and viable competitor.

With a rather weak US currency, this is the time for US-flash manufacturers to step up their game. Stolid and solid is no longer good enough. To compete effectively with brands like Profoto, Elinchrom, Bowens, and Hensel, US producers will need to refine their designs. Now, there is a place for simple, solid, and effective designs--Dynalite and Speedotron come to mind--but many prospective buyers will be wooed by the technically advanced and sexy, and there the US gear falls short.

"But I guess we should at least be grateful that production was sent to Maryland instead of Mexico or China. "

My instinct is that the internal components will be made in China, Vietnam or elsewhere and final assembly will be in Maryland..

Todd, you make it sound like omegaSatter took over Novatron in a hostile takeover, but I doubt was the case. It is sad that Novatron is leaving Dallas. How many employees are we talking about?