Horseman SW617 lens question

jonee

Hello. I am about the buy the Horseman SW617 camera. The only question i got is which 90mm lens to buy? Some

people have suggested the Rodenstock because its a smaller lens and easier to get filter holders on. People also

say that the quality difference between the Rodenstock and the Schneider is not noticeable. Can anyone confirm?

If anyone does own one, any problems or concerns with it yet? Thanks.

I have a Plaubel 69W ProShift with a Schneider Super-Angulon 5.6/47mm with a Schneider center filter and rented a Horseman SW612 Pro with a Rodenstock Apo Grandagon 45mm with a center filter.

Both lenses are top of the line.

However, I've done extensive research a while ago because I'm interested in a Horseman SW617 Pro as well, and as far as I remember you can have a Rodenstock Apo Grandagon 90 mm or a Schneider Super-Angulon 72 mm - no choice for the same focal length.

I think the slight difference in the size and weight of the lenses is marginal compared to the camera itself.

Filter holders usually come with adapter rings or step up rings, so I wouldn't worry about the lens diameter at all.

The Horseman I had rented was an awesome mechanical masterpiece of a camera, I wish I could afford it plus an Imacon right now :-)

Not that I don't like my Plaubel, but the Horseman offers different backs and larger film formats.

------------------------------------------

Worry is like a rocking chair.

It will give you something to do,

but it won't get you anywhere.

My experiences and lenses used in the 4x5 format were mixed with both lens makers. My enlarging lens collection is also Rodenstock AND Schneider. Generally, I found that Rodenstock and Schneider make extremely fine lenses and the imagery captured was limited more by me than the equipment. BTW: I used these lenses on the Horseman 4x5s and technical cameras . . .also very nicely made and terrific in the field!

There are two 90mm choices for the Horseman 617, with some noticeable difference between them. The Grandagon

90/6.8 is 30% lighter and considerably smaller, while the 90XL offers more coverage. The Grandagon (460g) uses 67mm

accessories and has an image circle of 221mm. The 90XL (665g) is physically a much larger lens, using 95mm accessories, and having a 259mm image circle.

With 34mm of shift available, either lens offers more than enough coverage. A Center Filter (CF) may be required when

employing larger amounts of shift, or for critical transparency work... for either lens. If it matters, a 95mm CF costs

almost twice what a 67mm CF does.

Image Quality Wise... stopped down for normal 617 shooting apertures (f22ish)... I suspect few (if any) could tell the

difference, even with side-by-side prints. The 90XL might be preferable if you envision using LARGE amounts of shift

regularly.

Thanks for the answers. I don't understand how can one lens show more coverage than the other with the same focal length? Are you saying that the Schneider is actually wider than the Rodenstock? I don't plan to use the tilt shift much so its not an issue. I just want good image quality combined with easy set up (with my Lee filter system). Thanks again.

You have likely heard the term "lens or optical formula?"

Focal length is just one characteristic of a lens.

A 90mm lens is 90mm throughout all the various film formats. Whether its image circle or coverage on film is sufficient for the format is a critical piece of info. Generally, a 90mm 6x7cm lens will cover 6x7cm and smaller. When I use this lens on a 35mm body, the focal length remains the same at 90mm. The likelihood of the field-of-view changing is obvious. 90mm is slightly normal-wide on 6x7, but is short telephoto on a 35mm. I remember when I used the Horseman Technical 6x9, I occasionally used a 4x5" film back on it and at least one of my lenses would cover it. Not all the others would . . . naturally the one with the bigger coverage was more expensive! So, not all lenses with similar descriptions or labels are created equal! :-)