A differnet question to all the DSLR's in ocean lately

david_amberson1

I am so glad I own a 1D Mark III and use a weather sealed 70-200 f2.8 IS. Its great for shooting in the pooring rain

with no worries or at the water park and being splashed...so what.

But, how would this combo hold up in sea water? The same? Anyone out there know. Thought I'd ask before I tried it.

I know you shouldnt completely submerge it in 6ft of water, but after a dusty dirt bike race, I just take it home. Put it

in the sink(dry) and use the sprayer with low pressure and rinse it completely. I dry it real good. Use a can of air to

blow out all the seams(low pressure) and then remove the lens and clean the lens seal and inspect. Its a beautifull

thing. I've heard of pro NFL photogs that after a muddy game of being splashed will dunk theirs in a 5 gallon bucket

of clean water and swoosh it around, then dry.

Any thoughts. Thanks

You can't be serious about NFL photographers submerging thier cameras with lens attached in a bucket of water and swooshing it around! I don't care how weather sealed they are...they are not waterproof, only water-resistant.

Go ahead and put it in for a dunk...let me know the outcome. Guaranteed it will become a very expensive conversation piece.

"I am so glad I own a 1D Mark III and use a weather sealed 70-200 f2.8 IS. Its great for shooting in the pooring rain with no

worries or at the water park and being splashed...so what."

Who cares about the camera. After a day in driving rain I'd be worried about catching pneumonia and dying.

I recall a poster at FM lamenting the death of his 1D II/70-200 L after a dunk in sea water.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I've seen these cameras being sprayed on but I just clean my 1D3 with a damp cloth, scrape the sand and grime from nooks and crannies using a toothpick or cotton swab and that's it. But I have no qualms shooting in pouring rain with a weather-sealed lens. Oh, don't open the battery door in pouring rain.

Sea water and the salty mist is horrible for any camera - weather sealed or not. While the weather sealing may slow down salt penetration to internal parts, it won't slow down the corrosive action of salt mist on external camera body.

The weather sealing of Canon's bodies and lenses should not make you "fearless", common sense still applies. Maybe a better way to think about the weather sealing is that you can be somewhat less "fearful" of inclement weather and environmental conditions.

I got to say, this was a great laugh if nothing else. William/Bob, you 2 made my night. The dishwasher and washing

machine is priceless. William, did you stage that shot just for me or had you already used this before? Good stuff.

About the NFL photogs. I've never tried it. I've never witnessed this. I'm not sure if they were NFL, but just Pro's who

get splashed with heavy mud while working. I would never actually dunk mine. It cost too much money

to chance. But a light spray in the sink to replicate a good rain has been fine. I've done it alot. It works great. Its hard

to get that gritty sand out from behind the rear wheel any other way. It sounds horrible when you rotate it with all that

behind it. The water spray cleans it out. Looks

brand new when I am done. But absolutely NO high pressure. It cant be any worse than what you see on the

sidelines at NFL games in the rain.

Oh yeah, Micheal L., I read an article by SI where they said the only failures they had in a rainy Super Bowl was

from photographers opening the memory card door and water running off their rain suits into the card compartment.

Killed the cameras. Other than that, they worked flawlessly.

But I have always wondered how it would hold up around salt water. Maybe if your on a boat and light spray hits it or

on the beach. Would it be ok? From the sound of the posts, I'll just leave it indoors at the beach. No one buys my

equipment for me so, I wont risk it.

This was just a question brought on by all the DSLRs going in the ocean lately. All of these have been non weather

sealed units. So for those of us who have sealed units, I was just curious how they would fair in sea water. NOT A

DUNK. LOL :-) Just sprayed. The guy that was hit by the wave. If it had been a sealed unit, could he have cleaned it

off and been ok. Or would it still eat the camera because of the corrosion. I would say if it were cleaned quickly you

would be ok. Corrosion doesnt happen instantly. Its a process. And it doesnt corrode plastic. The 1D has a

magnesium body, but lined with rubber and plastic

Have a look at the EXIF . . .

I bloody took all of 5 minutes out of my day!

Ran down stairs, threw the washing out of the machine, (brassieres and panties everywhere: NOT mine)

Dried the machine out, threw in some white towels, and my 5D.

Got my 20D, `borrowed` the kit lens from my Daughter`s 400D, set `P` Mode (that is for Professional, isn`t it?)

The little Flashy thingy popped up.

Turned the washing machine on . . .

Took the photo on an angle so it looks like its kinda moving, shot machine gun and tried to rotate the camera to

imply movement, bloody flashy thing does sorta work OK, sometimes.

Turned the machine off, put the 5D in the dryer, because the spin cycle was broken.

Posted the image to the thread . . .

Then I find out I made a mistake . . . I should have used the DISHWASHER . . .

Yes I staged it just for you (sigh). . .

All of the above is true, except I really didn`t turn on the Washing Machine.

I purposely chose to use P and the Kit Lens, to prove other points, maybe later . . . on another forum,

Other than that, I think I broke my 5D with the stunt. . . the bloody flashy thing doesn`t work any more!

WW

Lol... that may have been the best picture posted here in a while.

I always tie my camera to the top of my car and go through the carwash on my way home after a particularly muddy day.

But seriously, i'll take a dusty exterior to a dead interior any day!

I use my 1D and L series lenses around the sea and beaches constantly, surfing, diving, sailing etc. They have had many a "spray" with salt water. They do OK but you need to keep the outsides clean. I don't do lens changes if avoidable. The black coating on the 1D top plate and the White paint on the 300 and 70-200 are lifting though, if I don't fresh water clean the body I get corrosion, this can be neutralised with white vinegar. Works on the hinges on sunglasses too..................

Yeah, the vinegar trick works very well.<br>

I have a 300/2.8 IS (8 years old) so rusted through from salt water that I'm afraid the optical elements will fall out one of these days. Amazingly, the lens works well, produces awesome pics, even though it makes some infernal noises wile focusing and the IS "buzzes" a lot, and not even the 600 mm lens gets so many "curious" comments - passers by just can't believe their eyes.

If you have a Canon 5D with L lens and happen to be in a beach, which has salty air blowing all around you, what type of precaution is recommended? Ask, as I know 5D is NOT weather-sealed. Also, let's not forget the sand particles.

William, I have to say, your nuts. But a good laugh indeed. I like that "P" for professional. You know someone will

come along in the thread are get all shitty with you and write, "P mode is a program mode where you can only set

the ISO. Its for amatures. LOL

I'll just stay away from salt water. I dont want to deal with Camera/Lens rot.

Saltwater is really nasty. If salt spray ever becomes a problem, and your camera is indeed weather resistant, a product called SaltX should help. A spray bottle with some SaltX solution should help you get rid of the salt.

Regards, /bing

> William, I have to say, your nuts. <

Very nicely put indeed, thank you: yeah, well it is the only way for me to stay sane in an house full of women (am I allowed to say that?).

> "P mode is a program mode where you can only set the ISO. Its for amatures. <

Yeah, I am waiting for that discussion too. . . there is friend here at photonet, who is passionate about that issue. It was she whom opened my eyes to the value of the P mode: and that awakening made me exploit its uses further.

Have a great day

WW

Thanks, I appreciate that comment.

You really should not feed the monkey, though: I (supposedly) have work to do!

`Average` and `Transvestite`: nice line of thought. Perhaps inspired by my brassieres and panties comment? . . . Oh this thread is so twisted, nice to see we all have a sense of humour!

:)

CU

WW