how much does it actually cost using a minilab ?

I would think the manufacturer could provide you with the cost of consumables, from which you could calculate the cost per print. Have you contacted the manufacturer(s) of the unit(s) you're interested.

Given the high investment cost, I'd guess that they are happy to provide that info to prospective customers, because everyone will want to do ROI and GOGS calculations.

<Chas>

You will also have to consider what a maintenance contract might cost, along with the increase in your electric power statement.

Getting prints 'done' at a lab, gives you (generally) a decent print without the upkeep of 'owning' or 'leasing' a mini-lab unit.

If you contact the reps for various minilab manufacturers, they can prepare cost-of-ownership projections for their products. The last time I saw such a projection (for a 10" RA-4 unit with a 35/120 c-41 film processor) the break-even was supposed to be 14 24-exp rolls per day.

I presume you have answered basic business questions about this tentative acquisition such as reasons for selling, sales history, local market conditions etc.

As far as the equipment is concerned the first thing you must determine is whether the equipment is a current model from an existing manufacturer of repute. There are a number of labs out there with equipment that is outmoded or orphaned by manufacturers that have left the business. There are also several brands that are only thinly supported and do not have a large installed base.

Without a strong support and parts supply the cost of paper and chemistry is irrelevant.

As far as breakeven calculated on roll count.....forget it. Film is almost dead and the idea of processing even a few rolls a day is not a workable model in the US and Europe. In my experience (30plus years in labs) film usage is largely the province of single use cameras (very price concious-WalMart demographic), technophobes, or enthusiasts or pros who won't use you anyway. The last two groups are a very tiny number BTW.

The success of a lab these days is how many prints a day will you print and sell? A low price means you need to turn impossible volumes. The business is very price driven. Every board on the net is filled with questions about the best price for printing. Many profess a preference for quality but will flee for a penny. And that is for the ones you can inform about your services.

A diverse product lineup can help but if you are inexperienced this may be beyond you.

I would call Fuji and Noritsu ( the last two surviving minilab manufacturers of any repute) for insight into your venture. They would dearly want to sell you a machine but would also give you an open eyed assessment of current market conditions.

best of luck