Monopod Head decision ...

drubene

Greetings Sports fans!! I am about ready to jump into the deep end of the pool and need a bit of advise. I am

going to purchase a few toys this week ... namely a Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS and a Bogen-Manfrotto 681B Monopod.

I am trying determine a good solution for a head for the monopod. Quick release vs. non-quick release? I

primarily shoot sport (typically football). All suggestions and advise are welcomed.

That lens certainly has a mounting foot, Terry. The question is whether or not you want to mess with screwing a threaded fastener into and out of it every time you want to mount/dismount the lens.. or whether you want to do it instantly as needed. Something has to attach to the lens's ring foot... and I'd get very tired of threading a mono/tri-pod's traditional screw in and out of it (which I'd need to do twenty times, some days). Quick disconnect is the only way to go - it's just a question of which style/brand/make/model.

Well . . . quick release is the way to go, if you need to go that way for what you need to do.

BUT, that does not mean it is the ONLY way to go, especially for everyone.

After all, the premise of the question is to decide which is better, and / or which is necessary. . . there many ways to skin a cat and I think it is better to analyse in what circumstances what solution might be better . . . I do not think this is a question whare a `one shoe fits all` approach is very suitable.

In deciding which is better, and / or which is necessary, we need to think about what the OP will be doing; and what gear he is going to be doing it with.

For example: I shoot quite a bit of Swimming and have access to a 400F2.8 and I own a 70 to 200F2.8. I have both lenses running on TWO bodies.

The TRM of the 400 will go straight onto the monopod head, because it stays there for eight hours, end of story. The 70 to 200 doesn`t ever use the monopod, it is always HH.

But, I also shoot some Field Hockey and might use a 70 to 200 and 24 to 70, and TWO bodies. In the late afternoon and failing light I am quite happy with the 70 to 200 on a pod and just a ball head which I can drop loose easily and still sling on my arm or shoulder, whilst using the 24 to 70 HH with Flash for `Game Over` etc.

But, for Hockey, if I were only using the 70 to 200 and NO other lenses or cameras, I would screw TRM of the70 to 200 direct into the monopod, because I see no need to remove it for the duration of the game.

I use a Manfrotto 679B Monopod; 486 Ball Head. I also have two Manfrotto 234RC Quick Release Monopod Heads, (which Matt mentioned), which are very useful, WHEN quick release is necessary. If you decide on a quick release I can recommend that model.

I find for my sports / sideline use, a Quick Release is most necessary when I need to change lenses for use between one monopod, otherwise I would just rather use a Ball Head on the Monopod and two Bodies / Lenses.

I need to carry all the gear anyway: gear left on pool deck or the sideline (at the venues I work) is a big `no no`. So if the pod is `dropped` it still has to be carried, if it is literally `dropped` and left there even momentarily, one stands the chance of loosing the press ticket.

WW

I have both the Manfrotto 681 Monopod and the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L. I never used a head, just screwed them directly together. After a few years of using this combo I have dropped the monopod and handhold the 70-200. The Manfrotto 681 is in storage waiting for the day I can afford a 400 2.8. The 70-200 really isn't that heavy.

Andy

I agree with Andy Jones, monopod on a 70-200 is overkill..... I do use the 400 f/2.8 and find the Quick release grips more of a hindrance than anything else... I threw mine out.... try screwing your monopod straight onto your lens if necessary....

Barry

Well, I do not think it is only a matter of how heavy the lens is.

It is a factor of many things whether (or not) to use a pod.

If I were working close to the subject, at or near full zoom, and tangential to slow moving action, and was around 1/400 to 1/320 or slower, and was using an APS-C body, I think I would definitely like a pod under my 70 to 200F2.8.

I believe I can pull about 85 to 90% of those shots Hand Held, but why force the issue?

The monopod is great insurance, especially for a long day.

WW

Why do you need a monopod for the 2.8 IS?

It's light enough to handhold.

Second, why do you want a head on a monopod?

The monopod is used just to stabilize and distribute the weight of you lens, especially super tele's, like the

400 2.8IS.

You're going to need a pretty hefty head to take the weight of a super tele.

It's just more weight to haul around.

Remember for football you got to move fast and you've got a lot of ground to cover.

After the third quarter you're going to notice all that weight you're hauling.

Anyway on the white lenses, you always have a tripod collar, which is a lot faster than any head.

Leave the head for the tripod.

Save your money.

Instead of buying the head spend some time in the gym lifting weights and doing cardio.

It'll help you more on the field.

I agree with Richard. I stopped using a head on my monopod about two weeks after I started.

The 70-200 doesnt really need a monopod to keep it steady. Most of the time the 70-200 is the second camera, hung around our

neck.

Keeping a monopod on that small a lens is only going to end badly. You will end up sticking someone in the gut with it--mostly

because you are going to have to be too close to the action.