Which lens i should use, If I'm new in Photography?

dost

Hi,

<br><br>

Iメm new this Photography World, Iメm enjoying and love Photography.<br>

My question is very simple and basic, might be many peoples asked before same type of questions, But please

solve my problem and do me a small favor regarding belowナ.<br>

<br>

Well just few days ago I have purchased Canon EOS 450D with EF-S 18-55 IS Kit and now Iメm planning to buy some

lenses.<br>

My question is: which lenses I should buy either Fixed Focal Length or Zoom Lenses and which one?<br>

Secondly which lenses are best for Macro?<br>

And finally, can anyone explain me Lenses numbers? What does it means? How can read and understand? i.e <br>

EF 100-300mm f/5.6L<br>

EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM<br>

And etc<br>

I hope it doesn't sound offensive, but with the questions you have right now, I would delay any investment into new equipment. Invest into a good book about the basics of photography, read, and while you're doing that, enjoy your new camera.

Shoot a lot. Figure out what you need more of. Maybe longer, maybe faster. Maybe wider?

If you really want to buy some glass, get the 50mm 1.8. Its very cheap, very fast and very sharp. The best value lens in the name of the game. And if you do portraits, its 75mm equivalent is indispensable.

Enjoy your new camera.

-- "which book i should purchase?"

Without knowing your native language a suggestion is really hard. (I could suggest something written in german ... but that would obviously not be overly helpful). Alot information can also be found in Photo.net's "learn" section.

Thanks to all for fast response and guidelines.

<br><br>

<b>Rainer T:</b>

<br>if you can suggest something in English, i'm surfing Photo.net Learning Section too.

<br><br>

<b>Galen Anderson</b> & <b>Stuart Deayton</b><br>

<br>Thanks for your suggestions. I'll do practice first, and then ask more questions later :)

<br><br><br>

I checked photo.net Learning section, i found some exercises for beginners, I'll try to do my best.

My recommendation is to enjoy the lens you have right now. Shoot a lot! Learn. Read books and start to follow online

forums like this one. Start to develop skills and your own personal preferences as to subject matter and working methods.

At THAT point you'll start to have enough experience under your belt to better evaluate which of the many, many lens

options are right for you and your style. If you buy more lenses now you will just be guessing, and there is a very good

chance that you'll make some expensive and incorrect guesses.

Still another vote for using what you've got until you have a better idea of what the 18-55mm range will do and not do.

Enjoy your new camera and have fun with it. Some of the books put out by DK publishers are pretty good and most are available in multiple languages.

Rizwan - I'll jump in and also tell you to put off purchasing any more gear at this time...it won't do you any good or improve your results until you familiarize yourself with the basics and the gear you have. Read and reread your manual to become proficient with the features of your camera. Take lots of pictures (basically it is free) and analyze the results in terms of what you expected. Experiment. Also, as others mentioned, get some books to help you become acquainted with photography in general. The twist I'll add, is that you will probably also need to get some instruction in post processing your shots on a computer, as this is the 2nd part of the equation. In the "old days" many people took pictures, but left processing up to professionals. Digital turns the tables for most, and they need to learn processing as well as taking pictures. Good luck and enjoy your new hobby!

Thanks to everyone, you peoples are so much co-operative<br>

I am feeling happy and positive<br>

I will do practice with same lens and read your mentioned books, manual and browse online forums specially this photo.net :)