Fuji Voigtlander 667 video (in Japanese)

db1

In my first tests, I had _one_ scan snippet that was very nice, and all the rest have been uninspired. But even that one nice one had registration problems (color fringing) that can't occur in the Nikon. (Epson's ICE does hideous things, so I need to try Vuescan's version.) The problem may be film flatness and/or film height.

My take is that if it can be persuaded to cough up decent 3200 ppi scans I'll be overjoyed. (My Nikon 8000 seems to have a flare problem: scans of tiny snippets are fine but whole frame scans of 6x7 are ugly.)

I have Doug Fisher's film holder with AN glass sitting in a box as yet unoppened waiting for me to clear out my inbox of minor things that need to be done first...

"I have Doug Fisher's film holder with AN glass sitting in a box as yet unoppened waiting for me to clear out my inbox of minor things that need to be done first..."

Cool, I have the film holder and AN glass myself. His film holder inspired me to adjust film height and even with perfectly flat film I use the AN glass because it helps me with dust control.

I am glad Fuji is making this (at least for Japan), but why on earth would I buy this when I can buy a really nice Zeiss Super Ikonta w/ a Tessar or Novar lens for between $150 to $300? Surely the Fuji's build quality won't match the Zeiss cameras (or other quality MF folders), and I can't imagine the lens on it would be that much better, if at all. The Ikontas are tiny too. So you have a camera that will be no real improvement over 70 year old technology, will have lesser build quality, and will probably be priced 5 to 10 times the cameras it can be compared to. I just don't get it.

Steve - several reasons:

1. Modern 6-element multi-coated glass. If you do transparencies, it makes a difference. While the lens on the Fuji has not been evaluated yet, a modern Planar-like design is likely significantly better than a seventy year old Tessar or Novar.

2. Aperture priority, modern metering. To some, this is important, although I could survive without it.

3. In production, with warranty, service and technical support from manufacturer. Don't have to look at obscure sources for support.

4. Can be bought easily. While it is possible to buy some ancient folder relatively easily via an auction or otherwise, it may be in condition unsuited for use.

5. Some people prefer buying new. Impossible to get new vintage folders now.

My first camera was a Voigtlander Bessa I; so I have a nostalgic attachment to folders. Also I carried that camera wherever I went, and got some lovely pictures from it. Now I have a Rollei 6008 system, and don't carry it around, and miss all sorts of photographic opportunities. I eventually got a nice Super Isolette, but it doesn't come close to the quality of the Rollei. I dream of a quality folder I can carry around in an inconspicuous satchel, and I was out of options until this Fuji came along. I could carry around a TLR or Mamiya 7, but those are bulkier and bags that accommodate them scream "camera bag".

This is why I will most likely end up buying it, although at $3000 it will hurt the wallet a lot.

Here's a quick and rough translation:<P><i>As mentioned previously, this is a medium format film camera, and for an MF

camera it is especially simple. At the lens we have the aperture and focus ring. You have to focus by yourself. There is no

autofocus. Here we have the shutter dial and there is also aperture priority. Taking pictures requires these three so it's a

very simple camera. I'll fold it away. When it's folded away it becomes a very easy camera to carry and will appeal

especially to photographers who like shooting with tripod. Lets open the back. With film cameras, the image shot is only

this area where the hole is. With digital cameras, for example, it's similar in size to a sensor, while this is a number of times

larger than three-five (35mm, I guess) full-size that is now popular. This characteristic alone will appeal to "serious" users

(dealers?). Of course, Fujifilm also makes digital cameras, but only a company that manufactures film would venture to release a

new film camera. I think it's important and a great product as it says that film isn't being got rid of.</i>