6x9 folders question

gt1

Ok, I love my Mockba 5 so have caught the folder bug. I'm curious, and I've just spent an hour or so looking at

6x9 folding models, what was the most recent 6x9 folder available. Particularly does something like this exist:

6x9

coupled rangefinder

x sync

coated lens

good solid construction

rangefinder and viewfinder that's larger than the ones on my Mockba 5?

I'm familiar with the Zeiss, Agfa, and Russian folders. I'm not familiar with Japanese models.

I'm no expert, but I think Linhof, Graflex, and Horseman, probably made the last 6x9 folders. One can also shoot 6x9 with a Graflex XL rangefinder, but not a folder.

The Graflex is just a little press camera like it's 4x5 big brother. I don't know that I would classify it or the other two I mentioned as folders. But they do fold up. Something between a field camera and folder perhaps. Nice cameras though. With the Grafloc models one has removeable film backs, ground glass or RF focussing, changeable lenses, finders and so forth. I've built up a very nice system using 6x9 and 4x5 Graflex Graphics. Most of my stuff is interchangeable between bodies, backs and lenses, and I use some of the 4x5 lenses on the 6x9's. Very fun and useable. Most lenses for these synch at the front shutter with just X or X,M settings. Probably need a bipost to PC adapter is all. Below is one of my 4x5 Speeds and an assortment of refurbished Graphics.<div>00Q8fS-56253584.jpg.289c7d1c76d8ac918e53672b9af1cdce.jpg</div>

The only one which comes to my mind is the french Telka III:

http://www.cosmonet.org/camera/telka_e.htm

The four-element lens (with Tessar formula except for the very first series) is the sharpest I have seen on a 6x9 folder yet. This camera was originally sold with a glass-plate negative giving evidence of the sharpness to the customer.

But the Telka III is hard to find, even in France. I once found one on the giant open-air camera swap in Bievres near Paris but the shutter was broken. Fortunately they used a Prontor II shutter so I could use some spares from another camera.

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Folmer-Graflex-Miniature-Speed-Graphic-c-1941_W0QQitemZ220256346383QQihZ012QQcategoryZ15247QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem">Graflex miniature Speed Graphic</a> at eBay. Looks quite good. The back is not a Grafloc, so that it will only accept sheet film, but you can search for spare Grafloc backs, I was lucky to get one that fits. If you manage to get one you could buy some Graflex 23 roll film adapters.<p>What differentiate this camera from any other folding camera (or any other camera in the world, actually) is that it has 2 shutters; like the 4x5 Speed Graphic, the miniature has a blade shutter in the lens and a focal plane shutter in the body ("curtain" shutter). The curtain shutter allows speeds until 1/1000, but is a bit tricky.

<p>

The post 1960 folders from Fuji were all 6 by 4.5 medium format. The Fuji 690, G690, GW690 and GSW690 have rigid

lenses. - So, they definitely are not folders.

The classic 6x9 folder with the largest viewfinder that I know of was the Ensign Autorange 820.

http://www.geocities.com/antjam65/Autorange820.html

On both my Agfa and Voigtlander - I make do quite nicely with an add-on Leitz bright-line finder - an example of

which can be seen in the top photo in the link below.

http://www.ph.utexas.edu/~yue/misc/rangefinder.html

You'll note that this early Bessa II was not fitted with a flash shoe.

Best Regards - Andrew in Austin, TX

Hi, Greg One camera that comes to mind, fitting your requirements of CRF, 6 X 9 format, large viewfinder, etc, is the British Ensign Selfix Autorange 820, which was made AFAIK right through until the late 50s until Ensign carked it. This was the top-of-the-tree model of the Selfix 820s, using the Tessar-formula f3.8 Ross Xpres lens. That's the good news. The bad news is that these fetch HUGE prices - like 500 GBP for a nice one.

Better maybe to get a base-model Selfix 820 and invest in an accessory rangefinder, and bank your savings ...... (Pete In Perth)

The most recent 6x9 folder is the Fuji GF670<BR>

However its not available yet, so I suppose it doesn't qualify<BR>

It was shown in prototype form at PMA 2008.<BR>

Pictures at http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/18141/fujifilm-medium-format-camera/ <BR>

and video clip at http://www.capacamera.net/pma08/index.php?page=1&id=24<BR>

<BR>

Be intereting to see if it does get into production.

The Baby Linhof V 23 is 6x6 6x7 or 6x9 still available on special order from Linhof.

B&H has this model on its site the camera has a super accurate RF and there is also a Viewfinder

covering lenses from 65mm up to 240mm. Perhaps not your average street shooter but then it does not weigh

any more than a Canon DSLR 1Ds III.

Older models like the Baby IV come up and are quite cheap , awesome with a 105 Tessar or even the cheaper Xenar.

Thanks for all the suggestions. There are several cameras I'm going to be keeping an eye out for now.

If it ever was released and it was 6x9 I would definitely pick up that new Fuji.

Hi Enric , well I do understand where you are coming from. This one was made in 1984 I bought it from a retired Photog in 1990 paid about $ 1500.00 with lenses and two backs. Since then I updated the standard lens to a late one and added a 6x9 back to the outfit.The very last new one at B&H was around $ 9500.00

The older version IV can be found for about $700.00 in good order but the model III is also very useful

and even cheaper, all have rotating back and full extension. Those cameras are build like a tank treat them with care you can pass them down to the grandchildren.