Epson Ultra Presentation Paper Matte light/low contrast prints on R2400

After cleaning print head and using Epson printer profile for Ultra Presentation Matte paper, my prints are light

with little contrast. Printing is from PSCS3: photoshop manages color and UPPM profile. Of course, the matte

black ink cart. is installed too.

Thanks.

If you have color management turned on in both PS and the printer driver, the two systems fight each other for control. The result is a print that doesn't match what you see on your monitor. When you go to page setup in your printer dialog, click on the "Advanced" tab, check "ICM" and "No Color Management".

Frank: Try converting your working color space to GG2.2 if you are not working in grayscale already, then just

select GG2.2 as the printer profile, not one specific to a paper such as UPPM. Then in the advanced tap, select

ICM and No Color Management as you have been doing. This will eliminate any problems with profiles since it uses

only the simple GG2.2 profile.

FWIW, I have always printed b&w this way with my 2400 in the three years I have had it. The results are very good.

One overall question, have you ever made good b&w prints? If so, what changed? New printer? Different paper? Can

you go back to what worked before and see if it still works now? I am just thinking the basic problem elimination

processes which are common to all problem solving.

Bob,

Thank you.

Yes, I have made stunning B+W on my R2400 that look almost exactly as they appear on screen. The only exception is the UPPM paper. I use velvet fine art, premium luster, premium glossy and exhibition fiber paper for B+W with no problem with the setup i described: let PS manage color paper specific printer profile. On the printer I do set ICM with no color management.

I did not fin GG2.2 in my list of candidate profiles in PS.

Frank: Look for "Gray Gamma 2.2" which should be in a list that begins with Dot Gain 10% up towards the top of

the printer profiles.

Or, pick the Velvet Fine Art printer profile and see if that gives you a great print on EEM / UPPM. I think there

is very little difference in those two profiles when printing b&w. Also I find very small differences in b&w

prints on UPPM, Condor Brite White, Premier Fine Art, Hanelmule Photo Rag. and other papers.

Basically it does not make sense that you can make a good print on VFA and only a really crappy one on EEM/UPPM.

Frank: I would not go so far as to call EEM/UPPM "crap paper" as the prints do look very good. As good as just about any other paper. It is my standard proofing paper.

The downside to EEM/UPPM is that it is non-archival due to it being slightly acidic. The 2400 inks will last for a long time but the acidic nature of the paper will cause the paper base itself to discolor and gradually disintegrate over a period of decades.

Thank you everyone for your help. I've been away from my r2400 for about 2 weeks, but back now.

Ok, so I tried the following setup with not better results than b4:

PSCS3 manages colors, printer profile GG2.2; printer dialog: UPPM paper, best photo, ICM no color management.

I should clarify original statement: prints are "dark" with no contrast in shadows or highlights. If I use Archival matte printer profile this seems to help, but only a little.

Oh, I get the latest printer drivers when they are available.