Canon 5D New In the Box Inflation?

14mm 2.8l

Didn't Canon say price of dslrs would remain the same and only lenses were to have a 5%+ or- price increase a few

weeks ago?

I added a pair of 5D to my kit at an average of $1900 a pop last two months: $2050 & $1750.

B&H price is up $100 on 5D since this morning, so its $2000 and cash off rebate bonus of $300 ends in 8 days.

Might the 5D leave the canon system at $2,300? The 5D I bought new for $1,750 last week may turn out to be the all

time market low?

Nikon's new and announced budget minded full frame D700 is launching at $3,000 in 20 days.

I say if you've wanted a 5D for some time now you better buy one before the $300 rebate ends, I am 110% happy I

did.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/397314-REG/Canon_0296B002_EOS_5D_Digital_Camera.html

Lindy

It's still $1899 and change from Adorama, Amazon and J&R. No idea why B&H would bump up the price unless they only have a few left and think they can get a premium for them.

The store sets the price, not Canon. I very much doubt Canon have raised the price on the 5D to their dealers.

Or it may be a new shipment and reflect higher shipping and overhead for B&H. It has gotten a lot more expensive to do

business this past year. In our family retail business (music gear) almost everything from shipping to insurance to KAM to

inventory has been nickel and dimeing us to death these past months. You eventually have to pass it along to customers

or start stinking fast.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

>>Almost everything from shipping to insurance to KAM to inventory has been nickel and dimeing us to death these past months. You eventually have to pass it along to customers or start stinking fast.<<

Right - and there is more of that to come unfortunately... BTW, I think you meant SINKING...though the current economic situation does stink...

My 5D is on the FedEx truck right now due sometime today. I ordered it Wed. from Buydig.com for $1814.00. I live

in Western NY, Buydig is in NJ so no tax and free shipping. Brand new, USA warranty, I have been ordering from

them for years with no problems. Outside of B&H, Adorama, and Amazon they are the only one I trust and their

price is usually lower.

Just be aware that Buydig has a 10% restock fee even if you return an unopened box and even if you want to do an exchange for another item.

I think they are Beach Camera operating under another name (though I'm not 100% certain of that).

I have had only one occasion with buydig where I exchanged an item for another and there was no re-stock fee added. The new item was more expensive than the exchanged item. Not sure if that mattered or not but the price was the same as if I was buying for the first time.

Oh yeah, Sarah's 110% correct. I've wanted a full frame dslr ever since 5D was featured on the cover of Shutterbug.

$3,300

was better than $8,000 eos dslr offer. But $3,300 was still too much coin for me. In the meantime I read up on eos

system, bought

an EOS-3 film body used and got some lenses and shot film. Buying one 5D was the last item I really needed.

Buying a second 5D for

proper back up was the last item I really wanted. In a couple days I'll have my canon made f2.8 or faster focus

screen and my canon made f5.6 and slower focus screen. With one in each camera I'm set to get the most out of

my eos lenses and my cobbled to and adapterd to eos mount lenses.

Now If I can convert my wife to use the heavier eos system my family's move away from pentax will be complete and

likely reimbursed once I find new homes for all our pentax stuff. That would be Sweet!

Canoga in California bumped their price on 5D also, but just $30 a few days ago. I've read good things about Canoga,

but their online purchase system doesn't take paypal so I've never ordered from them.

Early this year when pentax got down to the last of their K10D they reinflated the purchase price up from $509 back

to $900 issue and now they only sell them on their website. This experience made me well aware prices for new

items not only drop over time.

Bottom line, this eos move has taken me 3 years to complete.

So my advise is Buy a 5D new if you want one soon since the price may already be on the upswing. And don't forget

to register you camera by Aug 31 to get the two year parts and repair bonus from Canon, if you're in USA. Look up

Canon 5D on canon USA website for link and details. Canon's doing the 2 year repair special for 40D USA buyers

too.

Lindy

To understand why they are raising prices, just check out the change in the exchange rate over the last year...

July 1st 2007 one USD got you 123 yen, today that same dollar will get you only 105y yen. Thats a drop of about 20%. If Canon wanted to JUST stay even, based on the exchange rate, they would have to raise prices by 20%.

In addition the price of oil has skyrocketed. So the cost of any plastics, shipping from Japan, keeping it in airconditioned warehouse, costs to get it from the warehouse to the dealer has gone up.

So you've waited three years to save but ended up spending more than $3300 (2x 5D's) anyway...see I spent the

$3300 upfront and spent three years making photographs.

And Sarah it's called "Humor" Mr Stone's been talking about this here and on the Pentax forum for years.

Indeed I bought into pentax dslr imaging 3 years ago to take advantage of wifes pentax lenses I bought her 6 and 7

years ago when my Canon F-1 cameras and lenses proved way too big for her. Magnesium is lighter than 1970's

brass so I

remain hopeful I can get her to quit pentax.

So while you assume I have not gotten digital images the past 3 years you are wrong. My 3 year pentax system

experience has been filled with promises of overdue "roadmapped" product, more delays, equiptment no longer made

in Japan yet priced

like it is, long drawn out Hoya buyout of Pentax, Pentax terminating all their reps, ect... What a delay filled promise

riddled experience I've enjoyed with pentax. ;^( and all I wanted was a 70-200mm 2.8 and since pentax stopped

making it

years ago I was stuck paying hundreds more for a used pentax example than my brand new eos f2.8 IS L zoom ran

me. This same

Pentax

example is notorious for

Chomatic Aberations, which coincidentally is just like their newly issued $1,000 200mm 2.8 Pentax. Its 2008 why is

pentax still making lenses with strong chomatic aberations? None of my Eos L lenses exhibit obvious CA. Still 2008

and you

can buy a

Canon 200mm 2.8 for $695 and pentax will run you $1,000 for a crop aps-c lens. Stay in one system and life is good,

learn about several 35mm systems and then reality hits hard if you've picked the wrong brand.

In two months I can honestly say:

5D full frame imaging with Eos glass and cobbled other brand glass is simply superior to what I captured via pentax

system. But thats me and 15,000 digital captures in about 3 years compared to some of the same shots I've taken

again with Canon 5D. After getting one 5D having two of them seemed a brilliant idea, to me.

Lindy

"I have had only one occasion with buydig where I exchanged an item for another and there was no re-stock fee

added. The new item was more expensive than the exchanged item."

Take a look at the buydig.com their terms of service and refund policy (it's on their website):

"...A processing fee of 10 percent will apply to the value of all merchandise returned for a refund. If you are returning a

product with the intention of purchasing different merchandise, the processing fee will still apply. This fee applies to

open and unopened boxes. We will only refund the value of the merchandise returned, not the shipping charge...If

you purchased a product from Buydig.com that you wish to exchange for an alternative, you can return the item for a

refund and simply place a new order for the item you desire...An item that was discovered to be defective upon

receipt can be replaced with the same model only. You may also return a defective item for a refund, however a 10

percent processing fee will apply..."

So if you get it, it doesn't work and you send it back, they charge you 10%. I don't like that. They will replace the

item with another one without the 10% fee, but charging you 10% for returning a defective item for refund means they

are a store I won't do business with. It also says they charge the 10% even for exchanges, so I guess you were

lucky!

I always look at the refund policy of any store I buy from. I don't buy from anywhere that has a restocking fee on

principle, as well as to protect me against unforseen circumstances.

Amazon gives you 30 days to return most items, no questions asked, no restocking or processing fees. I think B&H

and Adorama give you 14 days.

Dermot, sorry to have riled you. It was a serious response. The 5D remains the cheapest current-production full frame DSLR. For those who want/need full frame (such as myself), the 5D is a very attractive camera. If FF weren't that important to me, I'd have gotten the the more feature-packed 40D for less money. In fact almost any crop frame camera would be a better deal. Until Pentax makes a FF, it will have zero market for anyone who need FF. Why would anyone expect otherwise?

Please note: This is not a plea for you to convert either to full frame format or to Canon. It would be wrong of me to beat you over the head with my personal choice of manufacturer or format.

"Why would BandH raise the price?"

It is because of supply and demand driven "Dynamic Pricing" or "Yield Management" .

If it sells 10 5D/day, has 20 in inventory and next shipment won't be in a few days, B&H will raise the price to

maximize the "yield" (we know airlines and cruise lines have been doing this for many years).

BTW Amazo/JR just reduced the price for both 5D (1800+) and 40D (899).