under age athletes

Hello,

I was at the Wimbledon Tennis matches recently and photographed the 17 and under kids playing their matches

because that was what was on the outter courts that day. I friend who does websites for photographers says I need

to be careful about photographing minors. The photos I took were at an international public sporting competetion of

people playing tennis. Do I really need to be concerned about the competors ages? Does anyone know what laws

governs this situtation? I know I can not publish the images because the venue will not give you permission without a

press pass.

Thanks,

Matthew

Even if you publish the pictures there is no problem. The law doesn't in any way distinguish between pictures of minors and pictures of adults (unless the pictures are indecent). A competitor in a public competition - adult or child - has no expectation of privacy. The pictures are yours and you may do as you wish with them. The only bar would be a consideration of claims of defamation by way of misrepresentation, so don't use them in advertising a particular brand of tennis racket or for treatments for STDs and you should be fine.