What is your favorite portable lighting setup?

tom l

Hi All,

I have a 40D, a 580ex (old version) a Promaster 7500DX and an old Metz 45 CL-4 flashgun with a peanut slave.

I am trying to come up with a good working portable lighting setup. I'd like to hear what works well with others

and what would your dream setup be. Particularly, what equipment, how many flash units (2 or 3), method of

firing (radio, infrared, etc).

Typically I have used the 580ex on my 40D hot shoe in manual mode as master and the Promaster and/or the Metz

with peanut slave getting triggered by the flash of the 580. I don't particularly care for this setup but it is

what I have for the moment.

Some initial questions/comments

1) I'd like to get the 580 off of the hot shoe for a better lighting angle. Is this typical for most people?

Do you use a cord in this case to fire the 580?

2) I'd like to get some other way to trigger the slaves rather than by the light of the 580. I'm tired of other

peoples flashes triggering my setup and have also had difficulty with them firing reliably if they are not

positioned well. I've looked at the specs and comments for the Canon ST-E2 and see it could trip the 580 and

some other Canon flashes via infrared. but I've also seen comments that it is not 100% reliable in bright light

or with obstructions getting between master & slave.

3) I've read about pocket wizards and other 3rd party radio triggers but I understand that I'd loose e-ttl &

high speed sync (for the 580 that is - I know the other flashes I have are not going to work in e-ttl).

4) I've recently seen info on Radio Poppers which sounds like a novel idea to get radio triggering and keep

e-ttl & high speed sync. But again I suspect I'd probably have to get another canon flash. I think the Radio

Popper will work with the 580ex or ST-E2 as master.

5) I don't know if a 3 light setup is worth it or not. Any opinions? I have light stands that I can use for

multiple flashes.

6) What to do with the existing non-Canon flashes? Would you use all Canon equipment or some 3rd party

alternative? I don't think a mixture is that great - the Metz seems to be a different color light than the Canon

& Promaster.

7) Type of shooting would be for individual portraits, small to medium size groups, and possibly at some indoor

sporting events (some venues I shoot at allow flash).

I'd appreciate any thoughts you might care to share.

Thanks,

Tom

2-umbrellas w/stands and one hair light boom

3-camera flashes, one triggered by radio the other two with optical slaves off the first flash

in your case, if you have the money and want ttl then go for all Canon flashes. But if you want a setup on the cheap Vivitar 285s work just fine. And I've personally never missed having ttl because once I'm set up I have no need to change anything.

1. Yes, I use off camera, directional flash as key light for portraits. I don't use a 580EX for this, but various other, manually set flashes with radio slaves.

2. I don't use the Canon wireless system, but some of those cheap ebay slaves. I happen to have gotten some that work well, but they are no longer available. If I didn't have them, I'd get Pocket Wizards.

3. Yes, no ETTL with Pocket Wizards. Doesn't bother me--I like manual flash anyway. Any time you use an automatic mode (ETTL auto ratios) you put your image in the hands of electronics.

4. Radiopoppers have been getting great reviews, but you do need an ETTL system (master and slave) to run them.

5. For location portraits I have 3 lights, with a 4th sometimes. They are, on-camera fill (580EX II or Metz 54), off camera key (Sunpak 120J or Norman 200B or Metz 45 or 60 or Dynalite monolight or...), background light (Vivitar 285) and sometimes hair light (Vivitar 283).

6. I see no reason to not use mixed brands. Color of light may be a concern if doing very demanding work, but for portraits, the primary color would be the color of the main or key light.

7. You could cover all of these types with your existing flashes (don't know if the Promaster has manaul control). You just need a slave system. You can try the cheap Cactus slaves or just jump in and get Pocket Wizards.

Thanks, Mike & Nadine. Nadine, I appreciate you taking the time to answer each item I listed. I'm now wondering if I should make the Metz flash I have my "on camera" flash as it's bracket already gets the flash off of the hot shoe) and use the 580 & promaster flash as the remote lights and get something like the pocket wizards.

My local camera store mentioned another 3rd party source for radio controlled master/slave flash units - elinchrome was the name - I've never heard of them. Has anyone tried these and are they offer anything different really from than what the pocket wizards offer?

Thanks,

Tom

"But if you want a setup on the cheap Vivitar 285s work just fine. And I've personally never missed having ttl because once I'm set up I have no need to change anything."

If you want better lighting, 3 Metz CL 4, or CT 4's.

The elinchrom skyports-get the universals- are great. Have not had a single failure. They give you 450 foot range out doors and non line of sight firing. Down side is the batteries on the receiver are built in rechargables. I havent had them run out while shooting. Upside, $100 each, for transmitter or receivers. a fraction of p wizards. They wont remotely trigger a camera shutter as will the pocket wizards but I have a cordless remote for that. I havent needed more than the 450 feet out doors. If you are getting started in off camera flash, take a look at strobist.com equipment recommendations and tutorials etc.