Any Digital Photographers comtemplating a Leica M (Film) Body Purchase?

All;

I am a digital photographer D300, 24-70mm F/2.8 AF-S Nikkor, 70-200mm F/2.8G AF-S, 14-24mm F/2.8 G AF-S

etc. Pro Glass.

I also own a Nikon P5000 10MP compact digital. This camera is ok. In perfect lighting, not too big of an enlargement

etc.

I've owned Leicas in the past and really enjoyed them. I don't have any Leica glass anymore, but (perhaps I'm nuts),

I'm thinking about a Leica M6 or M7 (used). The only 35mm that I own now is a Rollei 35 (German) with the Tessar

lens.

Sometimes I just want to "go back to basics", if you know what I mean. I usew the Rollei when I want to travel light

and get good results, but it's no Leica. Also. it's becoming more difficult to get 35mm film developed by a decent lab.

Should I just save my money $$? Is there any merit to this? I'm not interested in an M8

Thanks

Brad

That's a question only you can answer. Here are some others to consider: Can you afford the entry fee? If yes, would you use it enough to justify the expense? Just how hard is it to get 35mm developed well where you are? Why did you switch to digital in the first place? Would you be happier putting your $$$ towards the new D700, which would let you use those lenses as Michio Kariya

intended?

I've occasionally regretted selling my Bessa R and all of its little Russian friends, and have thus pondered the same thing you are, only at a different price point (Fed 2s are pretty...) I just keep coming back to what I actually take pictures with vs. what I might like to take pictures with, and that comes back to my Canon 20d every time. But that's just me.

If Leica moves you, it can be very inspiring. I love my M6. Shoot the C-41 black and white films or color print or slide and scan at home. I recommend the Coolscan V. Oh, and get a good printer and monitor calibrator. I use the R2400 Epson and an X-rite I1 Display 2 calibrator. Enjoy!

I shoot with a GR Digital and a Leica II / Summicron 50. After purchasing the GRD last year, I hardly touched the Leica,

not because the results were better (they are good, just different from film) but because it was so much easier to use. On

a recent trip however I did shoot a few rolls with the Leica. Some amazing photos came back - not a technical issue, it

was more that I managed to capture moments and feelings with the Leica that in a year with digital I wasn't able to. I put it

down to being forced to slow down and contemplate each shot before taking it and using a 50mm external viewfinder, being

able to take a shot with both eyes wide open and having no blackout is unparalleled. If cost is a concern, shoot bulk and

develop/scan yourself. I buy Tri-X in 100ft rolls, roll my own, develop in HC-110 and scan with a Coolscan V.

if you are interested in developing your own film i would jump to another m body. an m6 and 35mm 'cron asph is all i shot on for many

years. it was such a pleasure i now plod about with the m8 and zm 25mm. that's it that's all... no "which bag" debate, no "which zoom?"

debate. one camera and one lens. my "zoom" is a black pair of converse all-stars.

the m6 bodies are fairly well priced and to be honest i am not sure if aperture priority is worth another grand.

I agree with Jon. There are very few objects so well designed for the hand as the Leica M film cameras. Or lenses so well tuned to film. To me it is all about a rhythm of work, and rhythm in photography is about a relationship between me, the camera and the light. For that, I just want to be simple. The Leica fosters simplicity. I gave up color, mostly, and now it's just BW-- an Mp, 35 cron, agfa apx400, develop it and scan it; I still have the negs if I want to print silver or I can be sending those digitized pics in emails to friends or post them on a little website, or even print them on inkjet. ALl this is no savings of time or money-- it's not apples and oranges. It's about that pleasure Jon said above, hard to explain, but if there is appeal in it, why not rent a rig for a fewdays? Samy's in LA, for example, rents you a body and an asph 35 cron for $100, pick up FRiday return monday. See if you like before you commit.

<i>I am a digital photographer D300, 24-70mm F/2.8 AF-S Nikkor, 70-200mm F/2.8G AF-S, 14-24mm F/2.8 G AF-S etc.</i>

<p>

Either you are a photographer or not. There is no "digital photographer".

<p>

There is nothing a film camera can deliver that your current outfit can not.

I'm off to Austria tomorrow. I'll be taking my two Leicas with three lenses. It'll take me longer to make each

shot and a lot longer untill I see them but I think that's a good thing, when I'm on holiday.

As ever, your mileage may well vary.

:-)))<div>00Q5tE-55131584.jpg.f2a825dcec8a5e7f5895b88cd2d33ec3.jpg</div>

I agree with the first guy, Greg. Do you really want to start a whole new format? are you that unsatisfied with your digital

nikon? would you prefer playing with your glass for what they where intended to be used for (full frame i.e. d700). What

about a nice little nikon F6? there you go. use all your nice glass with film and if you still are not satisfied, get a leica. I

love my leica(s) even though they do burn a hole through my pocket like no other. i suggest renting one maybe. If its the

film you really want i suggest to get a cheap $200 f100 and see how you like the film feel.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Yeah I have a D3, Pro glass etc. Recently bought an M7 as a carry around camera and for streetshots. Beautiful

bit of kit, very smooth, very quiet, although viewfinder is not as good as the Bessa R2A I had before. I like it but it

doesn't get hauled everywhere as it's too heavy and expensive (I worry incessantly about it getting stolen). Sadly I

would probably not take it or use it anywhere where it would be at risk which is most foreign places, interesting

urban areas, night locations, tube in the evening...all the places where you are most likely to get an interesting shot!

Maybe I should sell it and buy a Coolpix...

<i>...it was more that I managed to capture moments and feelings with the Leica that in a year with digital I wasn't able

to....</i><p>This is either your frame of mind or that you are more used to the Leica. Both reasons are legitimate, but it's

not an issue inherent to the equipment.

It's amazing how much feeling and emotion is transfered to a metal and glass object. I love my Leica M's. But Leica AG

has no magic pixie dust that makes a Leica capture moments and feelings better than a Coolpix. If you just want a new

camera system and have the money to play, get the Leica. But, the magic is in the photographer, not in the Leica.

Recently I purchased a Leica M body with three lenses (21, 35 and 90) and for some things it's just the best tool for me. For close-ups and a lot of messing around, my preference is for a DSLR. I hope to do some stage photography eventually and I'll use the Leica for that probably. So FWIW the Leica is a better choice for certain things, but not for most things.

If you really want to go back to basics, get an M2. It will be cheaper and you can use the clip on Voigtlander meter. You can use the latest lenses if you can afford them. The 50/2 modern summicron is a bargain by Leica lens standards. KEH probably has some decent prices on older M2s. It will give you the 35-50-90 frame lines which I like better than the M3 system. The M6 has more frame lines you you may like it better or not as well but the M2 is nicely uncluttered.

Second the Coolscan V as a scanner.

Sure I think there is merit in wanting a Leica, everyone that owns one thinks there is.

So why not get a user beater? How about an M3 missing vulcanite? I like the IIIF suggestion but skip the meter, Sunny 16 works, Wally*World processing without prints is about $4.40, not expensive at all for fondling with film in the camera. (Fondling being the joy of using the camera.)

Or a 0.58 finder and a CV wide?

You already like Leicas, have experience with them, I wouldn't think to much about it, we're dead a long time.

"...the M's are much better 'user' cameras due to the better viewfinder."

It can depend on the intended use. Last month I bought my first Leica, a IIIF w/ collapsible instead of a used M.

I needed an interchangeable lens camera I could carry in a pocket, including jeans. As the go everywhere

camera, I tend to use hyper-focus (and Sunny 16), so the finders are not much of an issue for me. But I do see

an M in my future, too.

I use only rangefinders now (after years of film and digital slr's). I recently purchased a used Epson R-d1 digital rangefinder for a fraction of the M8. Boy this is a lot of fun, but I know the fun will wear off and I will return to my film bodies. BTW my Costco makes really great scan for me for $2 a roll.

kivis

Cameras, lenses, and fotos