Maybe a new printer?

Hi. I've been using an Epson Stylus Photo 2200 for several years. It continues to work, if awfully slowly, and

it's beginning to make some noises. The print quality is excellent, though not continuous tone, which is pretty

noticeable with many images. When I bought it, the 2200 was "best of breed" for certain, but that was about three

years ago. An eternity in the development of new technology. Looks like the Epson R1900 might be a reasonable

next machine, but I haven't been able to find very much information about the quality of build, output, and

comparison with machines of similar caliber.

If it is not a "too good to be true" come-on, I've found a site that is offering a Canon PROGRAF iPF5000

discounted to $999.00. I'm sure the print quality is outrageous, and the speed, too (two print heads), though I'm

wary of the ink prices - about $900 for a 12 cartridge 'fill-up,' vs. about $130.00 for an ink kit for the Epson

R1900. Given the ink cost, not to mention double the initial cost, I'm not considering the iPF500 awfully

seriously... and I'd have to be certain I could see a clearly defined difference between the Epson and the Canon

before I'd seriously consider whether the quality difference would justify the greater expense.

And then, I'm sure there are excellent photo printers used by probably many of you, that I've never even heard of

or seen the brand name! So, I'm interested if anyone would recommend other brands (besides Epson, Canon and HP)

that are worth a look.

Thanks, all, for any comments, stories and personal experiences and advice.

... Or... not... starts to look like I'm the only one with some interest in photo printers. Hmmm, so, does that mean the majority of folks send their work to photo printing companies? If so, does that'/would that hamper or constrain creativity? I think it might be similar to just having the idea, and maybe telling it to someone who subsequently renders the final product. So, tell me, who's the artist? If I create a photo, process it as I will, and have it ready to print, what would posses me to give it to someone to print for me, using their best judgment and interpretation of what they thought I intended?!

Well, a somewhat long way around to the idea that I like to print my own prints so I have artistic control over that final stage in creating the piece. Thus, my interest in printers.