Hi all! Breaking into product photogpahy help!

Hi everyone,

My name is Khoj Badami. I have been lurking around here and looking for a long time. This is a great group. You

guys rock!

I had a question, that I was hoping you could help me with...

I want to break into "product photography". I just wanted your feedback on whether this is a good approach...

What I could do is, take good pictures of any products that I think I can do a great job of. I then send those (1

or 2 only) to the company if I feel that they are substantially better than the photos the company has on its

website. I ask them in the e-mail whether they would like to purchase the photos and more?

Do you think this approach will work?

The longer term aim is that they can hire me as the regular photographer whenever they need product work?

(Hopefully!) I want to build a few relationships with a few companies.

Looking forward to your responses...

Khoj

Large companies rarely hire photographers directly. Most product photography, for name-brand products, is

contracted through the ad agency.

<BR><BR>

It is usual to approach the ad agency art directors with a portfolio, and get an assignment to shoot something

that way.

<BR><BR>

That isn't the only way, and big companies aren't the only ones who need product photography. I would not

recommend showing any one how much better you can be than their current photographer, because the photog might be

the bosses son, or son-in-law, etc.

<BR><BR>

Build a strong portfolio of commercial quality work that shows that you can do the job. Shoot common objects,

and extraordinary objects. Shoot products that present serious challenges to show that you can "shoot anything".

<BR><BR>

The main thing about being a pro, is that <b>you have to deliver</b> You can't be figuring out how to do the job

after you have it, you have to go to the gig, <b>knowing</b> you can do it.

<BR><BR>

<Chas>

My first thought is; forgedda about it! If you can handle tons of rejection, meeting with Art Director's who are never

willing to trust you with their clients product photography and Communications Director's who tell you they're really

happy with the guy they've been using for seventeen years, why should they trust you over them? Then I'd tell you if

you can handle the rejection, the non-committal atitudes, then maybe you stand a chance in getting started. <p>My

best recommendation is to offer to assist a working professional for free. Yeah free! Unfortunately, most of the time

you really don't know squat when it comes to fulfilling commercial expectations unless you've worked for someone

who's already sweated the details and the relationships and might, that is might, be willing to show you the ropes?

Then again why would most successful photographer's be willing to help create another photographer who is just

going to compete with them in the marketplace? So you see it's a rather tenuous relationship to begin with.

Unfortunately, most people don't know the Art Director's or client (manufacturer's) representatives that work with the

ad agency's. When you work for an established pro, you get to meet those people, and if you manage to stick

around long enough they begin to think that maybe you're a player who can be trusted. Often times after you've

assisted long enough, a pro may let you actually shoot a job or two. All along, you need to be building your book

with the skills and imagery you create on your own time with the ultimate end being to breakaway at some point

down the road and go out on your own. At that time, perhaps an Art Director you've come to know by association will

give you an opportunity to show him what you can do. But, when that time comes, you'll need to exceed

expectations. You'll need to overwhelm them with your results right out of the starting blocks. Generally there's no

second chances. If your reputation is tainted, word travels fast. <p>Still want to work in product photography? If so,

better start saving your money cause you're going to need a lot of funds to ride out the apprentice stage and a lot

more to put together your own environment. It can be a rewarding avocation, but it can be extremely frustrating. So if

you can't take negative heat, it's best to stay out of the kitchen (food photography another whole ball `o wax). Still

want it, so get going!

Thanks guys.... I'm a little nervous now....

Anyways, here is my plan... tell me if you think it could work....

Firstly, the way I see it, there are only 2 ways to get into a job with an advertising agency...

1. If I can prove to them that I am significantly better than their current guy.

2. If their current guy bails on them... and I am able to be there at the right time at the right place.

I have decide to do both, but with a lot of stress on the first.

So, what I did is, I targeted one local advertising agency and went though their portfolio looking for something I can do better.... in their current photographic illustrations. I was able to find something that I think I can do better and I have created some images to prove that point.

Now, my plan it to first call the advertising agency guy, and introduce my self and ask him if I could send him an e-mail about my work and the benefits of hiring me. And without saying much else, I want to hang up.

Then I send him an e-mail with a small 10 page presentation that shows how I can do something better than what they currently have. I create the whole presentation from the sales point of view... i.e.... talk about the benefits to the customer....don't talk about the features.

Then I call back the next day and ask him if he got the e-mail and hopefully hell give me a positive or negative reaction. If I have done my homework properly and if I have anticipated their needs correctly, maybe they will be interested.

Basically, in my initial interactions, i am presenting my self as a niche guy. A niche that their current photographs are not strong in.

So, that's my plan.

What do you think?

Is it a good way to approach the situation. I have been reading online and this forum about small business marketing and "marketing services" etc. This is what I came up with...... I need some feedback on the plan.

Looking forward to what you have to say...

Thanks.

I think you've put a lot of thought into your plan, and have the right attitude. For instance, it's great that you are concentrating on quality instead of trying to get in the door by being cheaper, which is always fatal.

Don't over-analyze this or re-invent the wheel, though. You aren't going to change the way an advertising agency runs their business. They already have goals similar to what you propose. The bottom line is that your photography portfolio has to be stunning. There are a million great product photographers out there. You have to stand out.

Contrary to another response, some companies do contract product photography themselves, and not through an agency. Catalog type shots usually don't go through an ad agency. So it can't hurt to approach everyone involved.

You've got a lot of work ahead!

David

David's right in many respects. A lot of company's will work directly with photographers. My last catalogue job with a top notch outdoor company (or so I thought) was a great experience up until their end due to their cash flow troubles. Well here, I think price is crucial, as the cost of producing catalogues has gotten so expensive that most companies are looking for competent yet low-priced photographers first and foremost these days. It's the down and dirty of commercial photography. Not so much emphasizing quality but more to the production side of how many images can you do in a session? Better still is the guy who can do the imagery better and quicker! Give em a day rate that's reasonable. Check ASMP or APA guidelines for current rates. I'm out of touch with curent rates. You might ask to shoot a couple of their products for them so they can see how you work? That's how I got my first catalogue job. I like your attitude, it's positive and feels like you've done some of the preliminary homework which is great. Perserverance does pay if you're enough of a visual innovator. Best of luck to you and feel free to drop us a line and let us know how you're doing? -Phil-

David's right in many respects. A lot of company's will work directly with photographers. My last catalogue job with a

top notch outdoor company (or so I thought) was a great experience up until their end due to their cash flow troubles.

Well here, I think price is crucial, as the cost of producing catalogues has gotten so expensive that most companies

are looking for competent yet low-priced photographers first and foremost these days. It's the down and dirty of

commercial photography. Not so much emphasizing quality but more to the production side of how many images

can you do in a session? Better still is the guy who can do the imagery better and quicker! Give em a day rate that's

reasonable. Check ASMP or APA guidelines for current rates. I'm out of touch with curent rates. You might ask to

shoot a couple of their products for them so they can see how you work? That's how I got my first catalogue job. I

like your attitude, it's positive and feels like you've done some of the preliminary homework which is great.

Perserverance does pay if you're enough of a visual innovator. Best of luck to you and feel free to drop us a line and

let us know how you're doing? -Phil-<div>00Q9om-56763584.JPG.8eb8b4940b1e7ba8e1337083899d237b.JPG</div>