where to get good photos?

I live in Southern California (LA area) and I have been searching for new places to go to get some good shots. I

have done the beaches, zoo, Vasquez Rocks, and a few other places. Does anyone have any good suggestions on

new and cool places to go without having to drive 100+ miles? I'm into landscape and nature/wildlife photography.

For wildlife, you might try the Hollywood night clubs. Palm Springs has Mt. San Jacinto and Tahquitz Canyon. Nearer you are the Griffith Park Hills and the Mt. Wilson Observatory area. There were unspoiled canyons such as Box Canyon in the West Hills area, but they are probably pretty well populated by now. Further north in the Porter Ranch area residents are having problems with the wildlife--stake out a small child and you might get a mountain lion. Descanso Gardens in La Crescenta, the Huntington Library in Pasadena, and the Los Angeles County Arboretum further west are all attractive, but rather cultivated. There are quite a few trails in the Santa Monica Mountains. For more referrals, Google "Southern California bike trails."

I don't know if Huntington Gardens would let you take photos, but it's beautiful there. If you like Mount Wilson, Table

Mountain is a bit farther inland and I think just as if not prettier. From Mount Wilson you can look down at LA which is kinda

cool. I see Charles has pretty much made all of my suggestions. Caltech is beautiful if you are in the Pasadena area. I

hope this helps - Lex

I've seen coyotes at Hansen Dam in the east valley, and around the dog park on Mulholland near Laurel, but never went there to shoot them. Go at dusk and listen. They're pretty creepy.

<br><br>

BTW, Descanso Gardens does have some wild areas, as well as gardens under native oaks which draw a lot of the local fauna. Lex is correct-- there are restrictions on commercial camera use. That being said, I've been to Descanso, Huntington and the Arboretum a handful of times each carrying my old Nikon F2, and nobody said anything. But they must have wondered why I was carrying around an antique.

<br><br>

Are you hiking or biking? <a href="http://www.simpsoncity.com/hiking/arroyoseco.html">The Arroyo Seco Trail</a> is cool. The trailhead is near Pasadena.

<br><br>

The LA River supports lots of wildlife. The area to the north of Burbank Blvd in the Sepulveda Basin is a wildlife preserve. There's a small parking area near the top of the little hill where the 405 and Burbank Blvd meet.

<br><br>

If I think of something cool that's just not coming to me right now, I'll post it later.

<br><br>

Damon

Descanco Gardens is in La Canada Flintridge, you will not find it in La Crescenta.

The "the Hollywood night clubs" will provide you with perhaps one aspect of the "wildlife" ... it can really get wild sometimes...watch out for those papparazis...you may get some competition there...

Go to local mountains, Lake Arrowhead, Big Bear Lake, if you like lakes and mountains ?

Griffith Park is a great idea. Also, don't know if you're remotely interested in taking any shots of horses, but

the L.A. Equestrian Center offers a very unique opportunity to take pictures of a wide variety of breeds or

horses and equestrian disciplines. There are no other facilities like this on the West Coast.<BR><BR>

<A HREF="http://www.la-equestriancenter.com/" TARGET="_new">L.A. Equestrian Center</A>

I wonder how many landscapes and how much wildlife Ed shot in his bathroom and kitchen...

How about Joshua Tree National Park? Desert landscapes can be spectacular, especially at sunrise/sunset. Bare rock formations seem to explode in color at the right time of day, and particularly in the evening, there's an otherworldly look to them, as deep earth tones - reds, oranges and even purples can be juxtaposed against an indigo sky. Sunsets are good, too, with a cactus or the like silhouetted against the light.

If you're willing to stretch that 100 mile limit, there's the Pacific Coast Hwy from Big Sur north to Monterey...maybe for after the fires are out...there are spectacular rocky seascapes to be shot along there (a day or so before/after a weather event can be good for large, crashing waves, spray and foam on the rocks). In places, there are lots of seals and sea lions, and macro opportunities abound in tidal pools...starfish, etc.

A little farther gets you Sequoia NP, and a little farther yet (probably best saved for an overnight trip) more gets you to Yosemite NP, where I hear a friend of Ed's used to shoot a lot of landscapes...seems he made fair money at it, too, even though he mostly shot with black and white film. ;)