Event Photogarphy

I've been 'volunteered' by the post commander to photograph children's events at the local American Legion post

July Forth party. All events, games mostly, plus food, will be outside. Weather calls for sun. Problem is my

only experience is with longer range bird photography. Camera is a Canon 40D, short lenses are Canon 24-105 and

Canon 24-70 f/2.8L. Any hints as to which lens and or camera settings?

Any hints greatly appreciated.

Jim

Hi Jim, As a photographer shooting his child all the time I think I can offer some suggestions. The lenses that you mentioned will work fine. The biggest issue that I see is that the kids will be in constant motion. Often very fast. Shoot wide open (this is not fine art photography) if indoors light is low and use your flash. Take some practice shots and dial the flash back. Most likey, -.7 for the flash. If you have enouh light, shoot at f 4.5 for enough DOF. Outdoor a lot of sun makes for harsh shadows. Again, fill flash will help a lot. If you can get a 2nd person to get the kids' attention, it is a releif for you and you can shoot freely. The 2nd person can talk, tease, make faces, etc with the children. For little-ones, use teddy bears or other soft toys to capture their attention. Sometimes, an ice cube will occupy a little-ones interest more than you would imagine. Although kids move, not as much as birds do. Just think of them as large birdies. Most of all, have fun.

Best of luck, Doug