Vista Color Management

I hope somebody might have had the same experience and tell me if I am doing something wrong.

I have Monaco Optix 2.0.3 software. Unfortunately for me, X-rite discontinued the software/hardware I'm using before

Vista was introduced. They have a workaround that's supposed to work with Vista, but will not provide any support

for what I'm using. I used to use this software/hardware with my old Windows XP computer and I was able to print

exactly what I saw on my monitor.

With Vista, I calibrate and the monitor seems to look OK, but my prints have lean towards cyan. I have to add a lot

of red to get them to look OK. Then the monitor then looks garishly red.

Here's the other issue I'm having. After I've calibrated, if I "wake up" my computer, or I boot it, sometimes I get a very

heavy cyan cast, even though when it boots it says it's using my latest profile for monitor calibration.

OK, so if this set up is just not going to work for me with Vista, can somebody recommend a calibration system that

you can say works very well with Vista?

I've done a search on photo.net and cannot seem to find anyone who has the same problem.

Thanks for your response, Ellis. I had asked X-rite if any of their other software is compatible with the Monaco colorimeter, and they said no. I guess it wouldn't hurt for me to ask again, someone one gets a different response, depending on who you talk to...

I don't have an answer for you, but possibly you're looking in the wrong place for your solution. Vista has built-in color management with profiles, though not the kind of profiles in common use, and I understand that there are gotchas--for example, if not disabled, the system popups telling you what Vista is going to do will dim the screen and restore it to system defaults rather than your custom settings. You might get somewhere by Googling "Vista color management" or going to microsoft.net and reading up on Color.

I use X-Rite MonacoOPTIX 2.0.3 and MonacoOPTIX XR colorimeter on Vista Ultimate 64bit and it works perfectly. It also loads the profile when I boot, and I keep the Vista color management system well switched off!

The XR colorimeter (code number DTP94) is discontinued and therefore "not supported" on Vista, but the X-rite ToolCrib 5.0.14 drivers work a treat for this and any of their colorimeters. But if you want a better colorimeter go for the Eye-One products. ToolCrib supports Vista, XP and 2000, both 32 and 64 bit, and OSX 10.

(Also, if you have any problems with Vista's User Account Control, either make yourself and administrator or rignt-click the icon and run the program as administrator.)

Thanks for your response, Richard.

I'm using Vista Home Premium 32 bit.

I have downloaded the ToolCrib 5.0.14 drivers as X-rite suggested, and followed their steps. I'm already the administrator on my computer.

Thanks to Charles, I just found out today about turning off the Vista color management system, that might be what the problem is. I will check it out when I get home and see if that resolves my problem. I hope so. I really don't want to have to buy another colorimeter.

I just checked on my computer in question, and I've already disabled the Vista color management system. I am at a loss as to what is wrong.

It is so sad that companies like X-rite cannot help me, yet they were certainly eager to sell me a product that would soon be discontinued.

I didn't change to Vista because I wanted a Vista OS, the hard drive on my old computer went bad. The computer was old, so I decided to buy a new computer rather than spend more money on an old computer.

I emailed X-rite and wrote that I thought it would be fair to sell me one of their new products at a discount since what I had bought less than a year before no longer had support for the Vista system. They didn't agree.