Where in my area, to learn film development of 120 Film Please

tom_aellis1

<p>Good day.<br>

I'm a dSLR photographer just re-entering the Med Format world. I've always sent my film to A&I for development but I'd like to learn film development.<br>

I live in Central NJ, can go into NYC or Phila and would like to find a place that can give a lesson on building a moderate darkroom (Bathroom) and learn developing 120 film.<br>

Can anyone please suggest.<br>

Thanks so much.<br>

Tom</p>

<p>Try your local community college for a course in photography and darkroom. Developing 120 film technique, IMHO, is no different than 35mm film after you get it loaded onto a reel, at least that has been my experience.</p>

<p>In case you don't find a place to help you....<br>

I avoided developing B&W film for a long time because I thought it would be difficult. A few weeks ago I learned to load 35mm film onto the plastic reels. With a little work I became proficient at it.</p>

<p>My 16 y/o daughter is taking photography in school and has introduced me to Samigon (easy load) reels. She could immediately load her film using these reels compared to the traditional Paterson type. I think loading 120 film would be super easy because the large tabs would keep the film from buckling in the middle.</p>

<p>I would develop a few rolls of 35 and then use the same reel to then develop 120 film.</p>

<p>All you need are two reels, a tank, the chemicals and a way to measure. You need complete darkness for only a few minutes to load the film. The rest can be done in the light. I have been scanning some film, but I do have the ability to print using a couple of enlargers.</p>

<p>Here is a link discussing these easy to use reels.<br>

http://400tx.blogspot.com/2006/06/fool-proof-samigon-reel.html</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Tom,<br>

I used to live in central New Jersey, right off 195. For me, it was a 40 minute drive to New York Camera and Video in Southampton, Pa.<br>

www.nycv.com<br>

They still do in house E6 (slide) processing, as well as C41 and, surprisingly, b&w. They also had a section for darkroom supplies. A little more expensive than B&H, but a little closer and they're open on Saturday and Sunday. I think you may be able to get some darkroom advice from them, at least from the 'seasoned' sales help. The younger group only knew how to talk digital.</p>

<p>This is simply awesome. THANK YOU SO MUCH. I have the whole day to explore these options. And I WILL. I very much want to develop my own C41 b/w as it's just too expensive. I'd rather wait and invest the money into a Nikon 9000 for my workflow. I sold my old 8000 as it was not getting any use and the driver for the new Mac OSx was rough at best, even when trying the trials of Vue and (can't remember the other one).</p>

<p>Again, Thank you and I'll post my findings and action.<br>

Tom</p>