First Slr-Like camera

I am looking for a camera to take impressive, not professional grade pictures. Something for outdoor, still life

photography mainly, and i am working on a short budget something short of 300 dollars. I am leaning towards the

fujifilm s700. Any replies or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Don't be tempted by the SLR look - that is definitely a point-and-shoot camera.

Don't be tempted to try to get the most megapixels and largest zoom range for the least money. To achieve those two things at a low cost, they always sacrifice in other areas that are more difficult to quantify (or at least less commonly recognized by consumers), but just as important.

If you insist on a super-zoom for $300, look at the Panasonic Lumix cameras. They're pretty good, and a good value.

My opinion, though, is that Canon makes the best P&S cameras - though you will pay a little more for them.

If you're serious about this, you might try to find a used DSLR on Ebay for $300.

BUT! The most important ingredient to taking "impressive" pictures will be your skill. Learn how to use your camera, read a few books on photography (both on the technical aspects and the creative aspects). Some people can take impressive pictures with cardboard boxes. Other people can only manage total crap with thousands of dollars worth of equipment.

• 2 weeks later...