"err" message on LCD display

nathan_cenower

While shooting with my Pentax 645, the camera suddenly shut down in the middle of a roll of film. "Err" was

displayed on the LCD. The Pentax users manual is of little help, informing me that my camera may be defective. In

any case, I removed the film and then removed the batteries. I re-inserted the batteries, but I still have the

same "err" message. The camera is essentially dead. I assume that there are a number of possible problems here,

but are there any things that I can do myself to try to remedy the situation or at least figure out what the

problem is? Thank you

Look in the manual again in the column to the right of the "defective" comment, and see a couple of possible remedies. First one is to consult the repair shop. Second one, though, suggests replacing the batteries (with fresh ones), which is easy and worth trying... Good luck!

I doubt it would be a bug in the software, because then EVERYONE would see "err" in their display.

More likely it's a dirty contact between the lens and body, or a failed component inside, or some internal wire has wiggled loose over time. You might try rewinding the film and rethreading it or replacing it. A roll that has somehow become sticky (too much heat? defect in manufacturing?) might require too much torque from the motor and cause it to think the motor has failed. I don't know for sure that this can happen on the P645 or whether that's the error message that would result if it could detect it -- it's just something off the top of my head.

I have had this happen on my P67ii, and usually removing the batteries, lens, film and viewfinder, leaving it like that for a few minutes, then starting again with fresh film and batteries did the trick. Does the 645 even have interchangeable viewfinders?

Hope you resolve it...

There is also the wafer battery (good for a few years but . . . ) underneath the body that powers the memory. The idea to remove all power for a few minutes and then reinstall is a good one . . . a bit like rebooting the 'computer'. No the viewfinder is a fixed mount but viewscreens may be changed.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond and suggest solutions. I have since resolved the issue (I hope). Although I had already removed the film, I tried pressing the mid roll wind up button on the bottom side of the camera. The camera came back to life. I later spoke to Pentax tech support and was informed that this freezing up in mid-roll is not a totally uncommon occurrence. Again, thank you for your help.