Not with a Summicron!

Flare: I had been shooting with SLRs for longer than I want to say. It is easier to see flare with SLRs but with rangefinders since you are not looking through the lens it is more difficult. I was shooting recently sunsets off the Baja Coast with a 35mm summicron. Nothing wrong with the summicron but with rangefinders you will not see the flare. At least that has been my experience. I am not an expert but I do not believe that any lens is flare resistent. The best bet with rangefinder lenses is to shoot a few extra shots. Try to keep the setting sun off to the side (?). The sun the bloody sun! It makes great sunsets but it is not easy to photography.

Flare resistance is not the same as flare proof. Incremental differences in angles can produce markedly different results. If you get flare chronically in situations where you'd think you shouldn't, it might be a situation, but it would be about that lens, not likely the class of lens.

Keep the sun to your back and don't piss in the wind...

The 4th version Summicron has a reputation for veiled flare problems. I know of one photographer that even sent his lens into

Leic be be re-painted internally, it helped a bit I was told but still its not a flare-proof lens.

Yes, the Summicron will flare. They flare progressively less with each newer version (I've had them all, and still do, except for the latest version, which I sold). I find that an especially flare-prone situation is when the sun is just out of the frame, and out of the finder (but only just). Of course, with the sun in the frame, even if mostly hidden behind a tree or something, then you get a star pattern, the result of reflections off the diaphragm leaves; as well as blotches of color.

It is a fine lens, but not perfect in this regard!

The 50mm Summilux is a good choice (mine is pre-ASPH) if flare-prone situations must be tamed.

Agree with Rob F. A few years ago I sold my then 6 months old new Summicron because of flare issues. I did keep my very late production collapsible Summicron as flare has yet to be an issue with it.

My main 50mm now is the pre-APSH Summilux.....no flare issues with it either.

You need a hood that is the same length as the lens: 50mm. I had one custom made for the Elmarit 50/2.8, flare is very well controlled now. I got this valuable information from searching this forum.

In general, the ideal hood is the same length as the focal length. This can obviously pose problems for long lenses such as the 560!