Best bag for a Pro Photographer?

kristyberends

<p>Anyone have a recommendation on a good bag that will hold 2 bodies (perhaps with a smaller lens still attached), 3 lenses total, 2 flashes, and small stuff like batteries and memory cards. Preferably soft case, not hard shell. It seems like they are all just a little too small, not that I want something huge. Maybe duffel bag size? Am I dreaming, or does such a thing exist?</p>

<p>There are many bags big enough to hold your gear. For starters, you could pile it on a table top and measure/estimate the number of cubic inches it encompasses. Most bags list their capacity, or it can be easily calculated.</p>

<p>You need to answer more basic questions - how do you intend to use the bag and how will it be carried. Hiking is different than an event. There are shoulder bags, backpacks and rollers (and certain combinations thereof). There is no bag suitable for every purpose, and as a corollary, you tend to accumulate many bags and rotate their use.</p>

<p>Bags designed specifically for two bodies tend to be large. The Lowepro Magnum comes to mind (I have one), and holds two bodies, with attached lenses in the lens-down position. However, I find that a shoulder bag weighing more than about 16 pounds is too heavy to carry more than a couple of hours. A backpack weighing twice that is manageable for 8 hours at a stretch. Rollers bear all the weight themselves, but are impossible to use on gravel and difficult to lug up stairs.</p>

<p>Personally, I use a Lowepro Computrekker Plus for two body jobs (similar in size to a non-computer Photo Trekker), and a Computrekker for one body (similar to a Mini Trekker). You have to set a backpack down to access its contents, but you have to do that with a heavy shoulder bag too. Rollers never leave the ground. An advantage of a backpack is that everything is in a single layer, not stacked like in a shoulder bag. Rollers are similar to backpacks in this regard.</p>

<p>While Computrekker (and similar bags) have a slot for a computer, I rarely use it in this way. Traveling by air, it's easier to put the laptop in a separate bag than stuffed in the slot - more room for associated paraphernalia - and call it my "personal item."</p>

<p>You need to work out what style of bag you need: shoulder vs backpack, or maybe a combo of the two. Lowepro site (for one) is pretty helpful at saying what combo of equipment will fit in the various bags. I would take it with a grain of salt though: a full bag might compromise accesability, and there are limits to how much weight you can endure, especially with shoulder bags.</p>

<p>This is one instance where shopping locally is good: checking them out before buying.</p>

<p>Thanks for the good tips. I thought about a backpack, but I think I would rather just have a large soft satchel type bag. Ideally it would act as a 'headquarters' of sorts. When I am home I can leave the bag on my table and it can house my equipment. When I am ready to go do a wedding, I can zip it, load it into my car, and then unload it when I get to the site. Then I can strap on my dual harness and use a very small shoulder bag for my flashes, lenses, and memory cards. At the end of the shoot, or when I leave to go to the reception, I can load up HQ and travel safely. I just dropped my 5dmk2 on the cement with my 16-36mm f/2.8 lens. Luckily everything was ok, but I need a decent bag that is usable! Right now I have 3 bags, which is about as good as having zero because they don't hold much and its too much effort to keep everything organized.</p>

<p>I will check out Lowepro for sure, though!</p>

<p>There is no best bag. I also own and use a Lowe-Pro Magnum, but mostly for transport. It holds far more than I want to carry most of the time, and I prefer transporting gear in hard cases, but it does a great job, but look around, and try them on if you can. The ergonomics of bags is critical.</p>

<p>The Magnum will hold a 70-200 upright with the hood reversed. With two bodies, three f/2.8 zooms (all Nikon), flash and accessories, it weights over 32 pounds. If you know a good orthopedist, the Lowepro Commercial is even bigger. The Magnum is fine for a wedding or event gig - professional looking and more compact than a backpack. I've used a Lowepro Pro Roller II, which is about the same size. After lugging it up two flights of stairs, I started using something else. The wheels and handle add about 5# of dead weight.</p>

<p>Tamron makes a couple of 2-body pro bags. I don't care for their quality of construction and holding the cameras horizontally. You have to stack things three deep that way. Dompke bags are cool and retro looking. The are roomy because they have very little padding, and canvas sheds dust like an old pony (not ideal for keeping sensors clean). You could drop the Magnum off a bus (I did, in Prague), and nothing will be damaged.</p>

<p>Another place to look at is <a href="http://www.thinktankphoto.com">www.thinktankphoto.com</a>. Their bags are made as well or better than Lowepro, and make more efficient use of space. Their rollers don't have nearly as much weight penalty. I have one I use as a video/sound kit bag - their "Airport Addicted" backpack. I'd get another.</p>

<p>Shoulder bags? Think Tank Photo for me. I switched from Domke. Think Tanks are at least as well made, they have better pockets, are better padded, and include a rain cover. You can email them or phone for technical advice/recommendation for a specific bag based on the gear you want to haul. IMO their customer service is excellent. Hope this helped.</p>

<p>The dust gets on the lenses which are <strong>not </strong>on the camera, hence into the camera when you change lenses. I think it's the sizing used to stiffen and waterproof canvas. The nylon Domkes should not have a problem. Domke bags are far to sparing with padding for my taste, regardless of the material. They are popular amongst news photographers, who have to carry a lot of stuff paid for by their employer.</p>

<p>First, determine the purpose for your bag(s). Storage, transport, and shooting are all different requirements. <br>

Storage - a bag (or case) that you keep all of your gear in when you are not using it.<br>

Transport - a bag (or case) you use to bring your gear back and forth from a shooting location<br>

Shooting - a bag you use while you are actively shooting. In this case you don't need it to hold your camera. It should be in your hands!<br>

Storage cases should be roomy and protective. It will depend on how much stuff you want to put into it and how squeezed you want your stuff to be.<br>

Transporting gear also depends on how you are traveling. If you are walking, a backpack is nice or a roller case. Driving - you can use almost any kind of case or bag but a good roller is versatile. Flying, the roller is almost invaluable and you can bring a smaller empty bag for shooting when you arrive at your destination.<br>

I now use Think Tank rollers and Lens Changer bags for all of my work. Domke also is a great choice, especially for a solid shooter's bag. My roller is the Think Tank Airport International. I use it for weddings and events.</p>