HELP! What happened?

l_d1

Hello there,

I just tried to transfer some digital images from my SD card to laptop. This has always worked fine in the past,

but this time, my windows viewer says 'drawing failed', or the images do show but they are a series of

multicolored horizontal lines with the faint form of the photo.

When I preview them in my camera, they are perfectly fine, even zoomed in very close.

Is there another way I can transfer them? Perhaps my SD card is old/ruined?

Thanks.<div>00Pvab-51433584.jpg.485e64fb2c424889bb717da7ed46bbb5.jpg</div>

First, check the connection tabs to see if these are clean. If not, wipe them clean with something lint free and perhaps a

little pure alcohol (make sure the stuff is 90% pure or better). You should also make sure your cable is still 100% OK. If

you can try another cable.

It is well possible that for this photo the information was not recorded quite correctly, but in a way that the camera can

still make sense of it. On your computer, you may want to open the file with a different program.

If you have another card, take some photos with that card to make sure that does work. If you don't have another card...

you should consider getting one anyhow, even if this one turns out to be OK.

Since you can view the images in the camera, you SD card is probably good, as are the files on it.

That leaves two problem areas to be investigated.

1) The files were corrupted during the transfer process. However, if I read your post correctly, you have tried transferring using a card reader and by connecting the camera to the computer. How did you transfer using the card reader? What software did you use? Try opening Windows Explorer, navigate to the SD card, and drag and drop the image files to your hard disk.

2) The software used to display the images is corrupt. Try opening the files in a different program, say Photoshop.

btw, the "bad image" is really cool! Keep it!

I'm guessing if you clean your contacts and try a reader or another cable you'll be fine. But if the card is really old, I'd start

thinking about a new one. I used to have a lot of trouble with CF cards after a couple years or so, but I haven't had

problems with SD. But there may be!

Another hint. Since this is an SD type card, it should have a little 'write protect' switch on one edge, near the electrical contacts. Before you attach it to the reader, switch that switch to the "Protected" position. Tha will write protect the data on that card, and prevent any computer or card reader process from altering the contents. But you will still be able to "read" the data off the chip. But dont forget to switch it back before you put it back in the camera.

Another hint.... When you have images on a card backed up and you're ready to move on, format the card IN THE CAMERA before you start shooting. I've found this to be even more important when cards do double duty in multiple cameras.

Hmmm. I had exactly the same problem on my D70S when it was new. As the pics were visible on camera's monitor, but they were just as yours on PC screen, I thought the card should be ok... Well. It was the #ᄃ$%! CARD, The store where I bought the camera replaced the CF card with a Sandisk Extreme II... never had a problem anymore. Until I tried again to use the old card, of course! :-D

I now have the Extreme II (512 MB) and an A-Data (2 GB). The problem never happened again since I threw the first card into the bin. :-)

Hope this helps.

Ciao,

Davide

I've mentioned this before and occasionally get folks who poo-poo the notion, but ...

We are surrounded by radio frequency/electromagnetic interference. RFI/EMI can screw up data transfer. That's why Nikon's standard data transfer cables have passive noise reduction devices on 'em. Those funky little barrel shaped doodads on good quality data transfer cables, most monitor cables, etc., are ferrite cores. They help minimize the problem.

Try rearranging your cables way from potential noise sources, such as unshielded speakers, DSL modems, etc.