150mm lens on Speed Graphic

steve_renwick

I'm not sure if this is a silly question. I'd like to find a 150mm lens for my Speed Graphic. I've noticed in pictures that many of these

(Schneider, Rodenstock, whatever) appear to be physically longer, front to back, than the 127mm and 135mm Ektar lenses. I'm wondering

if the lens will still allow the camera to fold up properly.

Has anyone had trouble with this?

Thanks in advance.

Only occasionally have I left a lens in my Crown or Speed after stowing it -- it's usually a lapse of memory on my part.

The lens usually ends up being transported in the camera only because I'm kind of a lens freak, and have been known to pack too many lenses for an outing. Thus, transporting the lens in the camera prevents additional "tight squeeze" in the camera bag.

Of course, this creates the risk that I'll forget to remove the lens from the camera once I'm back home -- something I strive to always do. This is not only because I believe lenses are best stored in the best conditions possible (and in-camera ain't always best) but also helps me to find the lens the next time I'm looking for it because it's with all the other lenses.

I also have a Symmar-S on a Crown graphic, same storage space as the Speed. Just touches with its original front cap, but the lens clears no problem. But here's my two cents worth on this lens. Better coverage if one intends to use movements with a useable image quality. My Ektars, Optars, and Xenars, all tessar design, have better image quality straight on, but do not allow for anything but very slight movement if any.. Straight on they cover 4x5 well. I'd look for a late 152 coated Ektar, or 150 Xenar. The only lenses I have not liked from Schneider have been the early Symmar and Symmar-S. Others think they are great, so who knows?