FD 300mm f/2.8 L question

mark_pierlot

I'm wondering just how good the FD 300mm f/2.8 L is. I've heard excellent reports about the 500mm f/4.5 L, but don't

know much about the 300mm. Would the advantage of the 300/2.8 L over the 300/4 L (which I already have) be just

its higher speed, or is it better in other respects? Any guidance in this matter would be much appreciated.

Photozone shows similar sharpness in both wide open and stopped down, most other characteristics similar except color balance, where readers report the f4 cool and the f2.8 warm. Other than what you mentioned, the advantage of the 2.8 is a brighter focusing screen which might be important to you, especially if you shoot in lower light.

Another obvious advantage of the f/2.8 is the shallow depth of field and nicer bokeh. I don't have the FD 4/300L, but I have the EF equivalent and I definitely prefer the 2.8 in terms of overall image quality... if only it where lighter!!!

• 3 weeks later...
The 2.8 is an amazing lens, I have a white version. I also own an EF 300 f 2.8 IS. They are both razor sharp, I have a surf picture with the FD and a 2x converter that is so sharp you can tell the time on the surfers watch! Oh and it is a beautiful portrait lens. So you get a faster sharper lens that works superbly with converters, and for a budget price! No brainer really..........