23 RF 50mm Lenses 1.4/1.5

Great pictures, Jari. Why would you want to see this lens tested? It appears to be working beautifully for you. Once you find a lens that does it for you, stop obsessing about potential alternatives - it's a complete waste of time and energy which would be so much better invested in actually photographing. I have to admit, though, that I had to come a long way to arrive at this conclusion... ;-)

Dan,

I used to follow this plan:

1. Flare/Bokeh/Focus test in which I have indoors a light source with bare bulb and then I take photos with the lenses. The focus was never a problem;no front or back focusing by lenses. Old lenses can display sensitivity to flare.

2. I like to have a portrait session at window light and at different apertures. Here, I will use 1.4/1.5 plus 2.0 plus 2.8.

3. I may have photos taken outdoors for other type of photos. Shooting wide open is a problem in Florida light.

4. Photo files are sent to Roland for his next step photo analysis.

5. People comment on how they view the results.

As you can see, it is a less formal test andmore a "general usage test".

Thanks for the reply.

Why y'r focus on shooting nearly wide open? I understand that the need to shoot at large apertures is fast lenses' reason for being, but real people who use them to take real photographs often stop fast lenses down considerably.

Cheers,

Dan

Hi Christopher,

The Summilux and the Zeiss ZM will be hard to beat for sharpness, but the Canon and the Nikon lenses should give great overall performances too. The inexpensive J-3 will most likely again remind people what a great deal of a lens it is.

I note that uncoated and single coated lenses are in style these days. Some would say that keeping an old lens with inferior coating or none keeps down contrast for B&W photography.

For my personal use, I always return to my rigid Summicron.

Thanks.