What's the latest with Nikon Capture 1.3 and Apple OSX Leopard 10.5 ?

roger_s

Now in late June 2008, what's the latest with Nikon Capture 1.3 and its ability or inability to work with Apple

Mac OSX Leopard 10.5?

I searched Photo.net's archives, but the discussions -- about it not working -- are a few months old.

I realise a new version of Capture NX has just been announced, but I need to know the status of 1.3 with Leopard

Now that there's a new version of Capture NX, I hope Nikon will still get 1.3 to work with Leopard -- if it

hasn't already -- rather

than forcing us Leopard users to buy the new version.

Roger -- Nikon isn't forcing Leopard users to buy a new version -- blame it on Apple. When they upgraded the OS, they broke some things in existing applications. Don't wait around for Nikon to fix Apple's mess. Nikon has, however, left you with a great option -- Capture NX2. But even with NX2, Nikon has no obligation to modify that to run with some yet-to-be released operating system. They tell when you buy it what OS it will run on on the day you buy it. That's the end of their obligation there.

Ron

Ron, I respectfully, but very strongly, disagree. This is not Apple's mess, it's Nikon's. When computer manufactures introduce

new operating systems, as they are wont to do every few years, they invariably seed new

versions of it to other developers (Apple is, at this moment, starting to send out a Snow leopard SDK nearly a year

before the actual update is expected). The developers (Nikon, in this case) either pay attention to the forthcoming

change and accommodate it, or they do not. If you'll recall, Adobe got caught with their pants around their ankles on

many of their platforms when Leopard came out, it took them months to issue updates that should have been ready to

go at once.

My Nikon Coolscan has gone from being a pleasure to a pain because Nikon has never updated SCAN 4 to run as smoothly on

Leopard, and apparently has no plans to do so. You say that Nikon has no obligation to update their software as OS

systems are released. Well, I suppose you're right, but it makes horrible business sense not to do so and tends to

annoy otherwise loyal users like myself. That can't be good, or smart.

If Nikon wants to run on Apple OS, and not anger their user base, it is THEIR obligation to update.

I agree with ron. I also have my doubts that Niko is going to bother updating a now discontinued program (Capture 1.3) .

Though I am deep into working with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom, I am looking forward to trying Capture NX 2 which I picked up on Friday. What I hope I can do is process NEFs with some of the special localized tools in Capture NX 2, save as NEFS and have those processing steps respected by Lightroom and the NEF changes converted directly into a DNG envelope.

Actually, I run NX 1.3.1 on Leopard (10.5.3) and have no issues at all. Seems to me that whatever the problem was, Nikon

did fix it with 1.3.1 or Apple fixed it with 10.5.3. Perhaps that is why the discussions are a few months old, since the

problem was fixed a few months ago.

Well, I downloaded Capture NX 1.3.3 from www.versiontracker.com. When installing, it gave this error message:

"Capture NX could not be found. This updater will now stop."

I assume this is the same error everyone else had a few months ago.

I'm using Leopard 10.5.3, and the latest version of NX 1.3.3.

So the problem was not fixed fully.