Here I go Again.... *Sigh*

After suffering a pinched nerve in C6/C7 of my neck.. and really missing some work and not being able to lift a

camera for the past 5 weeks, I have gone and accepted a shoot of a graduation next week. Went and ordered film..

we will see.. B&H out of what I typically use so ordered from Adorama and it seems that they don't automatically tell

you when stuff is out of stock. Well, I have film so I got it figured out and covered.. but anyway...

I have good days (almost pain freaking free) and bad days (which usually follow the good days.. likely because I go

and do more than I should on the good days). I pray I have a good day the day of the graduation (HS). I will just

have to lump it if it is a bad day and suffer in agony if it is a REALLY bad day. The pain drugs just make me loopy

and don't touch the pain so I quit taking them.. took 'em back to the pharmacy (controlled substance crap that

doesn't/didn't work).

Back in 2006 I had something similar and it was diagnosed as a labrial tear in my left shoulder. I think it was

misdiagnosed.. this pain from the C6/7 thing is exactly the same (horrible when it ramps up) just the other side.

Seems my neck vertebrae which are supposed to be stacked on top of each other and form a gentle curve (lordosis)

are actually a little too straight and off set like a kid who has a stack of blocks on top of each other.. just crooked...

and this has created some bone spurs that are presssing on nerves. Discs seem fine.. a couple of bulges but no

presssure on the MRI tho some excess reactivity to reflex tests so probably some pressue that is not measurable on

the MRI.

The doc's all promise it will go away if I follow the Physical Therapy regime (I am.. like a religious fanatic) and it is

improving. Had opinions from three physicians, one of the top in the US.. all say the same thing.. time will fix it.

Well, it is getting better and I hope "time" will be enough by next weekend... *sigh* When oh when will I learn to say

NO?

Anyway, after deciding to not ever again shoot an event.. here I am back shooting an event and praying, hoping and

all the rest that I can do it in spite of the physical limitations outlined above. These folks saw my work and hired me

so there ya go. It just happens. Problem is, they are going to be showing this around to their friends who are all of

marrying age and well.. you can see where this is gonna go whether I like it or not!

Oh yeah.. and I thought of shooting this digital but here is the thing.. they think that while the vertebrae damage has

been there awhile, it is the use of the computer (even tho I have it set up to "ergonomic specs" that is causing the

pressure on the nerve. So... I am limited to 30 minutes 2X a day on the 'puter for work which leaves zero time a day

for doing photo stuff.

Thank GOD film is still being made or I would truly be up the creek on this one! Ah well, one day at a time.

Sure does make you think twice about taking your health for granted!

Hang in there, Nancy. After somehow cracking a vertebra about 5 years ago, I was taking about 10 vicodin a day with no real relief. One of my doctors recommended a very new procedure called vertebroplasty during which cement is inserted into the affected vertebra while under sedation. When I came to, a few hours later, they got me up walking and I experienced instant relief. Now if they can just find a good cure for rheumatoid arthritis. I have gone through remicade, enbrel, humira and now orencia, plus a total knee replacement. I hope they can find a way to relieve your pain. Best of luck!

Nancy, I know this may sound off-the-wall, but here goes anyway :). Try acupuncture, along with the PT. It worked wonders for me, relieving the pain so I could do the strengthening exercises in my neck. I had a very similar condition to what you described, it was actually a nerve that was damaged when a muscle next to it was damaged years ago, and it could never heal up completely. One thing I also don't do anymore is use a neckstrap, but I'm sure you're already there with that.

Marc said: "If there was only some place that would take your digital images and print them out like they have done

with film it would be a better world."

No truer words can be said....

I have the phone number of two acupuncturists that have been recommended to me. Have to check the cost (no

insurance coverage). Honestly, if it makes the pain go away, I would pay (somehow).

I do that PT and it really really helps. Sometimes it hurts like H*LL at the PT's office. One time they were doing that

thing with the combo of ultrasound and electric stimulous on two very raw nerves and I was saying "Oh God" over

and over.. and finally I said to the PT (a young, good looking guy BTW) I BET THE LAST TIME YOU HAD A

WOMAN SAYING THING YOU WEREN'T DOING THIS TO HER! ARE YOU TRYING TO BRING BACK YOUR

DAYS IN COLLEGE OR SOMETHING?" To his credit he responded, "Oh, I was s'posed to go to COLLEGE for

this?"

However, the PT works wonders. As the one Dr. in the ER told me four weeks ago, this thing requires "tincture of

time" and this was backed up by my pvt. physicisian and the top guy I also saw.

No surgery at this point. There has been improvment. I just hope I can do this shoot OK and eveyone will be happy

with the results.

AND my film order goes thru OK. I have heard of Adorama sending short dated film, tho it doesn't matter as I am

going to shoot this right away anyhow.

>>>"Marc said: "If there was only some place that would take your digital images and print them out like they have done with film it would be a better world."

No truer words can be said.... "<<<

What am I missing here? What would you be looking for that is not offered by most pro labs now?

I have a father in-law that has chronic back problems. He has had a couple of surgeries with only some relief. He loves to ride motorcycles but it make it hard for him to. My heart goes out to you. Hope you find the right treatment soon.

Jason

There's a man I know, who helps people like you or me with their pain, when no doctor can do anything, I'd say he really helps me, I go to see him about every 6 months and without him I'd probably won't be able to carry my Bronica around, or even my body. Well, I live in Taiwan... A little far away, maybe, but my mother made the trip from France, and will come back for just another 10 minutes session with this master. Accupuncture isn't what should work best for serious back pain. Don't trust doctors 100%, try to find if in your community, some people know some martial art experts, that'll be a good beginning. If you can make a trip to Taiwan, email me. I'm serious.

My mom had the procedure Kerry described. Her doc called it "super gluing". Worked pretty well, tho' she had to have it redone - she fell a few weeks into rehab and cracked a different vertebra!

Speaking of whom, I photographed a shindig at mom's retirement home yesterday. Pretty fun watching the folks shakin' their groove thangs. Used my D2H. Normally I'd fuss over editing and burning CDs. Not this time. I'm just uploading the full rez JPEGs to Flickr and letting everyone else sort out what they want. Fretting over 200+ snapshots of people eating BBQ and dancing is not my idea of fun or creativity. I had my fun taking the pix.<div>00Puez-51047584.jpg.180f8877e0d938a5ab6297a0b9432957.jpg</div>

Oh with film I could buy the film, take the pics, drop off the rolls, pick up the negs and the prints and be on my way. The lab I use now it is about $15-$20 a roll for processing and 4X6 prints (35mm) and they do a nice job.

With digitial, can I drop off a CD of RAW files and get 36 4X6 images (all corrected) and a CD of TIFF's (digital negs) for say $25 per 36 shots? So far I have not seen such offrered for that price from a lab? I may be missing something.

Sitting at the 'puter is deadly. I have the monitor 10 inches off the floor at work and the keyboard in my lap and the mouse at same height as key board and arm rests on the chair that support my forearms at the proper height. Works for me. Drives the ergonimics tteam nutz. Have to do likewise at home.

Right now things are IMPROVING. With that being said, I will continue this path FOR NOW. I love the pool idea but my therapist has no such opportunity to offer. I knw a place that doeose,, but at $4.20 a gallon for gas getting there can be a part of the isue. IF things were not improving, of course I would be looking at that and anything else I could find. I have been offered all sorts of things from herbalists to acupuncuture. One thing no one has recommended, due to the spurs, is a chiropractor, which I find interesting.

I have found relief sleeping in the recliner. However, tonight I am going to give the bed a shot.. wish me luck. I use a cervical pillow which is somewhat helpful.

It was very frustrating to have made progress on rund one and then to havae totalled the car on the way home first 1/2 day back to work missing a deer.. and being put back to ground zero (no injuries.. just to the car and taking this thing back to the beginning). All those who have treated such things for me b4 have keep saying that as long as there is improvement, then no invasive (surgery) is the answer. IF things suddenly go the other way, then it is time to do another MRI (make the insurance company happy) and surgical intervention (super glue etc.) may be an answer.

Meanwhile, the shoot will be of formals (cap and gown etc.) the day b4 the party (actual day of graduation) at the house and then the usual dancing and family shots the next day at the party as people come and go etc.

>>>"With digitial, can I drop off a CD of RAW files and get 36 4X6 images (all corrected) and a CD of TIFF's (digital negs) for say $25 per 36 shots? So far I have not seen such offrered for that price from a lab? I may be missing something."<<<

Close...but no. The lab I use will not take RAW files. They will take TIFF or PSD for an extra $5 per job. Then there is $1 per image for color corrections. The 4x6 proof prints are $.22 each (for 31 prints and up). So a job of 36 images would cost you $48.00. OK so it is not even close, and that did not even get you a disc of corrected images back. It would cost you 43.00 if you send up JPEGS. But that would defeat the reason for shooting RAW and converting to TIFF for editing.

Yeah I guess no Lab will do exactly what you want/need. But there are individuals who do offer that type of service for photographers. You could look around locally and see if there is a person will to do it for a reasonable price. They may not be able to do the proof prints (that is easy enough to get done) but they could do your processing. Heck we maybe seeing the rise of a new nich for folks.

So many photogs are getting sick of digital because of the time spent in front of the computer. That is mostly true for the ones that can remember back when they could forget about the shot after the shutter triped as they did with film. After the shutter triped all they had to worry about is getting the roll to the lab safely. I have heard of a recent rise in film sales...I assume for the very reason stated above.

There should be a wide spread service that will take your RAW files and give you a disc with 16 bit TIFFs and proofs, and/or run sheets, if desired. All color and exposure corrected.

Jason

The problem with RAW as I understand it is that each camera manufacturer'e RAW is proprietary. while me Photoshop CS (not 2 or 3 just CS) will convert my Fuji RAW files to TIFF it is a process that I cannot physically tolerate time wise at the computer keyboard. I used to do some fiddling with images in RAW, convert to TIFF, make digital negs of the TIFF files (huge files, several discs) and then convert those files to large Jpegs for 4X6 prints and a cd of small, lo res files for Email etc. The customer got it all. Big ol' TIFFs if they wanted that large print, Big Jpegs for home prints, 4X6 photographic prints (on photo paper) and a CD of lo res stuff to send out email etc. If they wanted a finished album they got the TIFF files after the album cuz that is what I gave the lab for the album photos.

I used to bitterly complain about the time it toolk to fiddle with imagea at the computer. There is a vast difference between diliking a job but doing it anyway and being physically unable to do a job whether you dislike it or not!

However, even if I price in the cost of the roll of film, right now the same processing at a lab would be WAY more than it is to currently buy the film, have it processed and printed to 4X6 and get a lo res CD.. provide the customer with the prints, negs and CD. Not to mention the fact that I cannot sit at the computer and do most of it at home anyway right now. On top f all that, I don;t NEED the computer or the expense of digital upgrades in equipment and software.. sooooo.. I guess my concerns about shooting film aren;'t rfeally concerns at all. I can used the older equipment I have and just do the job for them.

That all being said, I just pray I am physically ABLE to do it. Nerve pain is like nothing on this earth. It is unrelenting. There is no position to get into that is comfortable. It won't stop on percocet. It is, at times, violently horrible.. and it goes up and down but never goes away 100%.

Yesterday was not bad. Firday was nearly pain free. This AM I woke up and couild nto wait to do the over the door traction.... tomorrow will likely be a lot better if I sleep in the recliner instead of going to bed (if the pattern persists). However, the sleep I had in the bed was sweet.. it is much sweeter than the sleep (which seems lighter) in the recliner. My kitten curls up next to the bad side of my neck and lays his head on the hurting spot and the other cats find their spots. Dog sleeps on her bed and we really all sleep MUCH better and the DREAMS are better... but the pain in the AM can be attention getting. Last night I was riding a bay horse across the South Dakota Plains on a horse.... Dreams in the recliner are often of the monsters under the bed variety (you know.. ex BF's and Ex husband stuff.. REAL monsters!). LOL.

Well, this afternoon I break out the equipment and make sure all is well in flash and Nikon Camera world and we will see how it goes.. get the set up running and do a test roll at the local drug store to make sure the mechanics are working... and I will press on.

Lets face it.. that is the only choice after all isn't it? Pressing on.

Nancy, try this experiment sometime: shoot a small project with film and get prints made like you normally do, shoot the same project with a dslr using highest res jpeg, batch process the jpegs and send to mpix, costco etc., get the prints back (.12 - .16ea) and compare. Would bet money the jpegs will be as good or better than the film prints. Very little computor time and good luck with your neck!

Kerry - my mom had the same vertebroplasty you described. Worked well for her. When she fell during rehab the original repair didn't crack, but she suffered a second crack, which was repaired the same way.

(BTW, I cracked six vertebrae in a car wreck several years ago. Either the procedure didn't exist or the insurance wouldn't pay. Still experiencing chronic back and neck pain from that.)

Nancy, unless you get the jitters too much from caffeine, try a cup or two of regular coffee with your pain med of choice. For me two to four ibuprofen and a couple of cups of coffee works as well as prescription pain relievers without the side effects.

I agree about the preferences for film over digital for event photography. If I'm taking no more than the equivalent to half a dozen rolls I'd much rather shoot something like NPH (or whatever Fuji is calling it these days, Pro400Whatever) and let the lab do the dirty work. Beyond 100-200 frames, my D2H is more cost effective.

Depends on the day. Somedays the Ibuprofen and coffee do work well. Other days.. neurontin and coffee.. and the coffee is to just keep the neurontin from putting me to sleep along with Skelaxin. It is a fairly "new" situatio so I have to try different things to see what works.

I agree taht you may be correct about the # of frames but I must say if I have to sit at the computer for 200 frames I would be in agony. I used to argue film v.s digital based on my hate of the computer work. Rather do the hated computer work than not be physically able to do the hated comptuer work if you get my drift.

It is one thing to make a choice and quite another to have the choice taken away from you?

Nancy

I have a similar situation in my back & neck..

Last year I added massage, both deep tissue (which can hurt like hell!) & hot stone massage..

After several months of regular twice a week massages the muscles in my neck & back started to become less tight, resulting in my health & mental attitude improving measurably..

Then I let things go & am more or less back where I was before starting the massages..

Another thing that I tried recently was Bikram yoga which is practiced in a 100 degree Fahrenheit room..

I stopped the yoga after only 12 consecutive days practicing it (due to finances)..

I will tell you that after only 12 days there was a very measurable, greater level of flexibility in my left ankle where I severely broke it in a 2001 motorcycle accident..

My goal is to use the PT exercises, massage, the Bikram yoga, & eventually mild weight training to gain both the flexibility (my muscles are extraordinarily tight) & strength (abdominal muscles are truly key for a healthy back) that I will need in order to have as pain-free of a future life as it is possible to have..

I may also consider acupuncture as part of the healing process..

By Christmas 2009 I expect to be a completely different person from the man I currently am..

Having lived with nearly constant neck & back pain for the past decade & a half, I completely understand where you are coming from..

Good luck with your rehab, & check out the Bikram yoga..

It was invented & designed as a rehabilitative yoga to help healing serious injuries..

Bruce

Ouch. Good luck Nancy. I am a youngin' (25) with a family history of bad backs. The day I came home from my honeymoon I was shleping a heavy suit case (about 65lbs) up 3 flights of steps to the apartment my wife and I were living in at the time. All was fine until I went to roll over in bed that night and felt horrible pain. I could barely move for a couple of days and it was like someone was slicing my lower body off with small knives everytime I had to get out of bed for anything. It improved pretty quickly to the point of simple pain trying to bend fully to touch my toes without bending my knees and sitting tended to hurt after just a little while along with shooting pain down my left leg (in the first couple of months enough pain to make me nauseuos after about 2hrs of sitting).

After sometime I was diagnosed (and figured out on my own before then) that I had hurniated a disk in pinching my sciatic nerve. It took me about 18 months to more or less fully recover. No PT or surgery for me, though I was boarderline starting PT, I just never did. I still can't bend and touch my toes without bending my knees a little bit (I used to be super flexible), but I don't get shooting leg pain after sitting for a few hours and I rarely get back pain anymore (no more then I had before all this happened).

As with you Ibuprofin did help, especially when I took 800mg at a time. It wouldn't completely relieve it, but I have a desk job and the only way I could get through the day was taking 400mg in the morning and then around lunch time for the first couple of months, then I could step it back to just 200mg morning and lunch and after about 6 months I would occasionally take 200mg at lunch time.

Hang in there and good luck.