In over my head! Shoot for a VOGUE ad in a couple days!

BLOG WARNING. Below you will find a sweet blog (hah). The last couple lines of this post contains the real

question. Just thought i'd give you guys a heads up on that.

Ok, this is a little nuts. I am a competent and capable natural light photographer. I have JUST bought my first

strobe about a week ago (SB800). I just upgraded my body to a D200. I have decided I want to make a serious

attempt at becoming a fashion photographer. I am in super learning mode...and I have just been thrown a

ridiculous opportunity to kick my fashion photography aspirations to the next level...shooting for a full page ad

in the September Vogue. It is a little unreal considering my current level, but so be it. Carpe Diem, right?!

Only thing is, the image needs to be delivered to them by Tuesday. They goto print on Wednesday! The shoot will

probably be on Monday.

Now here is the deal. I am familiar with basic lighting theory, and will have the opportunity to tinker with the

lighting before the shoot. I will need to rent some lights, as I do not own my own strobes. I dont know the first

thing about studio strobes! I am a little nervous here, and have the ability to pass on this, but while I would

be much more comfortable with a month to really work this out...i just dont have the time. I feel I need to

literally attack this oppurtunity.

Any basic lighting advice for shooting a typical soft lift vogue ad that I can comprehend and make a reasonable

attempt at producing within a couple days?

Thanks in advance

Lucky for you to shoot for Vouge at this tender stage. If you are good in natural light than use your

strobe as a fill light.There are many basic lighting techniques.You should know the story before

you shoot.Design your lights accordingly.Attend any portrait workshop or buy lighting books.

""""Any basic lighting advice for shooting a typical soft lift vogue ad that I can comprehend and make a reasonable attempt

at producing within a couple days? """"

Since you don't know how the equipment is used, how would you expect to get an acceptable result? You have a 50-50

chance at either failing, or producing a beginner's experimental result. If I were you I'd shoot in natural light, or pass on the

whole thing.

Swurzler wrote: "In over my head! "

Yes you are, and very much so at that, having also asked how to setup an SB-800 for off camera flash.

I would imagine that "Vogue" job would be better performed by someone with actual "professional" photographic knowledge, skill, and above all experience. You could demonstrate character and integrity by finding a graceful and tactful way of suggesting to that client, that a more appropriate, truly professional photographer who actually knows what they are doing would likely serve them better.

What exactly are you shooting? Did you get the paperwork in order and what are you invoicing for the job? Once you've

done that it is time to be the Producer. I'm guessing that you are in over your head and the Client has no idea or is

desperate. Those jobs are tough enough to assist let alone shoot when you are new and I would say take a pass.

Ok people allow me to clarify here. First of all I am not misleading a client. My immediate family owns a high end clothing shop. They want to advertise in Vogue. They just decided it is a go, but they then found out that the deadline for submission is wed. morning. So its either they dont do it because there is not enough time, or I get the opportunity to try to pull it off. I am getting paid nothing for this. Thank you for all your responses. Especially Matt Lauer and Summer from my other SB800 thread. Summer, knowing now what I have just mentioned, wouldn't you say just go for it? I am going to shoot some tests of the outfit that will be in the ad i will be firing the sb800 as a key a little above and to the right (key) of the outfit with the package diffuser dome (i am getting a stand and shoot through umbrella later in the day today or early tomorrow). there will be a bit of front fill from the onboard flash, and a large silver reflector on the fill side of the subject. i am just testing for a good exposure and shadow/highlight arrangement on the material right now.

i will post the images in a bit.

again, i understand this is just way over my head. And I dont mean to offend any of you professionals with my questions or the obscene opportunity I have. These oppurtunities don't usually happen to me, and I feel a personal obligation to everything I possibly can to make it work

I guess if you would have given us all the information I could have commented further. Your family is going to pay +$25K

for a full page in Vogue and they won't pay for a photographer that will produce that caliber of images? How much is their

budget for model, Stylist, MUA? This is a train wreck in the works and I bet that I'll be able to pick the ad out easily.

it is actually part of a small business special, and the pricing is substantially cheaper than the standard 25k.

In any event, I have decided it is simply too early to consider this project at the moment. A guy can dream for a

bit, right? In any event, I will have the opportunity to shoot for the February issue once i hone my skills over

the next 6 months. I think this is more realistic considering my true newbie status in the world of flash. I know

just enough to be able to comprehend the vast wealth of knowledge I need and do not posses.

Thanks anyway people, I'll be back in 6 months with some more advanced questions and input for this one, no doubt :)

it is actually part of a small business special, and the pricing is substantially cheaper than the standard 25k.

In any event, I have decided it is simply too early to consider this project at the moment. A guy can dream for a

bit, right? I will have the opportunity to shoot for the February issue once i hone my skills over

the next 6 months. I think this is more realistic considering my true newbie status in the world of flash. I know

just enough to be able to comprehend the vast wealth of knowledge I need and do not posses.

Thanks anyway people, I'll be back in 6 months with some more advanced questions and input for this one, no doubt :)

With most advances in new technology, there is a learning curve where quality actually dips downward at first. For a publication you want ot show your best work, and whatever technuque you use it must be eyecatching. It would also help if it was good (two different things).

It is certainly easier to think on your feet when you are familiar with the added pressure and distractions and complications of artificial light. You may later conclude that simple is better.

Dave

I think you would be doing your family a great disservice by taking on this job.

Firstly, can I ask what you intend to shoot, in what location?

For this level of advertising shot, you're going to need a whole production team as Ellis suggests. There will be no change from $10k, depending on location, there may be no change from $20k.

There is a LOT more to successful fashion advertising than taking a stunning picture - who were they getting to do the page layout and text, was that a freebie from someone with a copy of Photoshop too?

Also, for someone who has only just got hold of their first SB-800, I think you'll have a LOT more than six months to go before you know the nuances of multiple heads and modifiers. Can a stunning fashion shot be acheived with a single SB800? sure, but more often, you'll need complete control of the scene, and that means lighting the clothes to show them off at their best. Rigging the model out in accessories such as jewellery etc. Perhaps hiring supporting models. The list is endless.

Realistically, no-one in your situation would be able to pull this off to an acceptable degree. That publication is the creme de la creme.

That said, it's not completely unacheivable. You will need to dedicate your life for the next six months to doing nothing but shooting fashion. Don't tell me you have another "day" job. I'm talking 6am-10pm six days a week. If you can get people to pay you for it then so much the better, otherwise, you'll have to pay for it yourself. That's going to cost you a grand a week in models alone. Buy and ANALYSE the photo's in the glossy mags. Expect to pay out approx $50-75k over the next six months in training yourself and getting the equipment (even if you have to hire it for extended periods), and expect your family to pay $20k for the shoot itself - you can't tell me it's going to cost any less than a decent wedding, at the very minimum.

The above is all speculation, but i'm pretty level headed and if your heart (and wallet) is set on it, that's how I would do it.

Lastly, please don't come back in six months and ask us how to set up your SB800 to get a Vogue shot.

This really is pie in the sky.

cheers,

Guy