Executive Portraits

So, I've been doing portraits for a while now. I also have an office job on the side. It seems that everyone's picture is

outdated and they want to know if I would take a new one for them. I live in the twin cites and I have checked out

numerous websites. The prices are all over! I was thinking that $50.00 for an executive portrait would be plenty. I

would also include a digital file for them to use as they usually don't order prints of themselves. Is this reasonable?

Am I charging too much or too little? I really have no idea. I don't want to be proex, but I don't want to charge

outrageous prices either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Kali

Way too little. Would that $50 cover your driving 25 minutes to their office, setting up your stuff, take one portrait, drive all

the way home, process file and send file to customer? By the time you figure in things like depression on equipment, your

car, your computers, how much time you'll actually spend per shoot etc you'll end up costing yourself money. Unless you

only do this type of work at offices with 100 or more executives, they all agree to a two second "portrait session" you might

make a few bucks.

I'd say $200 to $400 as a minimum for the very fast and easy to set up jobs plus you upload their portrait to a site where

they order and you get part of the print sales - a site like SmugMug, Digital Events Online, etc.

Kali:

I agree with Mikael - $50 is almost nothing. If your portraits are good, you should be charging $200 - $300 per portrait. You could also charge a sitting fee, then a smaller charge per portrait.

If you are going to provide an electronic "negative", then you need to charge for that (perhaps $50.00 per portrait). Also, what happens if the Wal Mart printer isn't having its best day and the prints look crappy? Nobody will blame the printer - they'll say "too bad the photographer wasn't any good."

Hee's what i charge: For an office with 5 or less people, I normally charge $200 as the sitting fee, and charge extra for the prints, (price depending on size).

If they want an electronic copy for use on the web or on business cards, etc., I provide a low resolution "negative" for $25.00. If they want a high resolution "negative", I charge $75.00. I ALWAYS provide a professionally printed 5 X 7 so they can see what a high quality print looks like - and if the drugstore prints don't match, it's clearly the fault of the drugstore.

Lots to think about....good luck!

When I was working in finance, executive portraits started at $500 for a sitting (I'm speaking of the ones

typically taken in the client's office or home, not just a head & shoulders shot for PR purposes)...printing &

retouching were extra depending on the studio. (Sorry, thought I could attach a sample, but I guess not in this

forum).

Here is the Basic formula I use.

Time Shooting (hr or Day rate) + Expenses (milage, rentals, hotels and ect...) + Post Time (photo editing) + Usage = Fee

It is simple but flexible formula for fees. I am using Fotoquotes for usage.

By my standards you are really low balling yourself and skills. Good portraits have real value and takes time and skill to

execute.<div>00Pu9b-50883584.jpg.a485283765960ffb3837e900b017d5ad.jpg</div>