Buying D3...Are there any MANDATORY Accessories Needed?

david_king11

You should really get TWO compact flash cards - either for automatic backup of all your shots or automatic overflow. You can also shoot RAW on one card and JPEG on the other card.

I have two 16GB cards in my D3 all the time - set to automatically backup every shot.

I have been using the RAW to one card and Jpeg to the other approach... after 4 months I seem to have got the jpegs looking quite nice straight out of the camera, probably good for 95%+ of what I do. It's still nice to have RAW as a backup though, especially when you are unsure of the images final use.

Eventually I may swap out my 17-55 DX for a 24-70

I have the 105mm Macro

I have the 50mm 1.8

I have the 70-200 VR

I have the 10.5mm Fisheye...probably keep for those rare occasions I need it.

I have (3) SB800s

I should be set though. Order placing now....

David, you will blow through those 2Gb cards in no time, even more so if you shoot RAW and much more so if you shoot RAW + JPEG. Load up one of them in the D3 and you will see how few shots you get on a card.

I don't know what you mean by 'mandatory' but to me, that would include things like tripod, cable release, bag, appropriate insurance, etc.

I actually got a 16GB card because I knew I would blow through an 8GB with the 9fps.

Order has already been placed, but what I meant was like, let's say the camera came without a battery. I know it does, but something like that would be mandatory.

I have been shooting for 4 years now and I have the bag, the tripod, the monopod, lights, stands, etc...

If anything, I may get a shutter release or, actually, I think the D3 has a remote trigger?

I think I am good with the 16GB card. My guess is, in JPEG fine mode, I should get about 2,500 shots. Or, in my terms, an entire wedding.

Take one of the 2GB cards, insert it in slot 1, and save all your settings. Remove the card, mark it and toss it in your bag. That way you will have your settings saved on a card you don't use for anything else, so you won't accidentally format it.

You will need a 24-70 zoom. Your 50mm isn't going to cut it. My favorite lens ever for my D2x was the 17-55 -- and the closest you can get to that for a d3 is a 24-70. Unless you have a DX camera you are not telling us about, you don't need the 17-55 anymore.

Then you need to buy some powerball tickets -- which (along with some luck) will lead to a 14-24 for the bag. You can then go from 14mm to 200mm at 2.8. That's all that just about anyone could ask for.

Also, don't forget to get a nice gift for your significant other!

UDMA card reader -- and UDMA cards.

200-400 F4 lens. A killer Gitzo and a RRS BH5 and a Wembery Sidekick, a few more SB-800's and Pocketwizards for all of them, an assistant to schlep it all.

Well, that's my list. The start of it anyway.

Ron

p.s. it goes on...

85mm 1.4, 105 DC, 24 PC, Ellie Octabank, Ellie Strip bank, each along with Ranger packs and pocketwizards.... and more. Oh I wish it were Christmas season. These are all mandatory of course!

If the D3 is like the D300, then you need a case. Something to wrap around it and protect it from the cruel and cruddy outside world. If you are the type person that likes a good wrap-around case (something to protect the body and a "normal" lens), then swing by WALMART, and check out their C-ICON SLR wrap-around cases. They're nice, semi-glossy, black, artificial leather. Lots of padding inside, and they fit a D300 like they were custom fitted. They normally cost $15-$16, but if you are lucky they might have it on Clearance for $8.00 . I keep one on my D300 all the time.

Alan -- I have an aversion to camera cases... the time it take to get a camera out of its case is the difference between capturing the moment and capturing something else. The D3 is built (excuse me) like a brick sh*thouse. You can hammer nails with it in the shower while you are not taking pictures. It don't need no stinkin' case.

Ron

How is the D3 set up for on-tripod use with mirror lockup for macro or other photography of stationary subjects? My D2H is a bit awkward in this regard without a wireless remote trigger. Depending on whether Nikon has responded to some of those issues (not really problems, just quirks) you might also want some way to conveniently trigger the tripod-mounted D3.

As Ron and Ilkka have said - above all get the 24-70mm as soon as you can afford it. I you don't have a DX camera then sell the 17-55mm.

If you do lots of landscape photography the 70-200mm has an issue with very poor corners on FX so the 180mm is a good suggestion or the the 2 ring 80-200mm that is still current.