Comments vs Ratings

Not Here

An age old "hot" topic that has been around a lot longer than I have been a

member. Just today I viewed an image where the comments and attributes of the

photo have been supplanted by discussions about ratings.

I have an editorial suggestion.... how about trashing the ratings and have only

comments? This would satisfy all the frustrations about "Why" doesn't everyone

love my photo and if someone wants to add a 3/3 or 7/7 to a comment, then tack it

on to the comment. The Mods will, of course, point out that giving 3/3's in this

manner will return the site to an anarchy and retaliation mentality. I can't predict

the outcome, but I do know that IF you have looked at an image the millisecond it

takes some raters to come up with a rating, then you should be able to verbalize

why! I personally don't rate unless I comment, so by attaching my name it reminds

me to keep my comments meaningful and diplomatic.

Oh yes, I would, however, limit comments by the same programming method used

to count submittals, to only persons whose "Comments on Gallery Photos &

Portfolios" are equal to or greater in number volume than their "Critique Requests"!

We seem to have way too many "participation challenged" posters that just want

everyone to "look at me, look at me".

Just $.02 worth for Monday musings... Mike

<i>. . . how about trashing the ratings and have only comments? </i><P>

Because many thousands of users enjoy giving and getting ratings.<P>

<i>Oh yes, I would, however, limit comments by the same programming method used to count submittals, to only persons whose "Comments on Gallery Photos & Portfolios" are equal to or greater in number volume than their "Critique Requests"! </i><P>

That would prohibit people who have fewer comments from making any more comments. Preventing people from commenting is NOT going to increase the level of participation.

Josh... a very true statement and at travesty that they are not getting their full enjoyment and usage. I admit, when writing this, I did forget about the entire "gallery" section that works on the ratings system... a major hiccup in my own flawed logic :-) But I did say this was for musing....

Mike... Bingo, but I disagree. The people who are not participating now are the ones penalized.... no loss there.

Mike... I'm sure the IT guys could come up with something to level the playing field until the system equalizes. I don't think my suggestion is workable, but it's more my frustration at the volumes of repost after repost images (including 6 variations of the same scene) that we see... and ALMOST invariably when you check these posters personal page, they have way more submittals than comments.

I have, and it's a weakness I'll make public, pulled comments or have not made comments on some very very good images, all because the person does not participate by commenting on other posts. I do concede that we cannot make people be good neighbors, but we could help mold their participation character a little... maybe?

Ok, gotta go act like I'm working and travel for the rest of the day... thanks for your "participation" and response to this subject!

Mike

I do agree that there are too many images in the critique forum, too many reposts, and too many people who want to "take" from the system and not give back.

But the solution is complicated for a number of reasons. Most having to do with programming, a few having to do with human nature ("So you are going to force me to make comments huh, then I'm just going to comment 'great!' on 50 images!").

But I'm working on it.