Sunday NY Times...how lit?

jtk

There seem to be two light sources here: One from high on the left of the camera and

another from the right, from somewhere near the potted plant near the piano. Perhaps there

was a little fill light from near the camera position as well.

I can't say I really like the lighting though...It looks "lit", but I guess you like it that way.

I see multiple undiffused lights being used. It is kind of a conscious harkening back to how people lit complex scenes before softboxes and umbrellas were common. iam alos non convinced that this photo illustratio nwas created i na single frame but I could be wrong. It sort of looks like a very self consciously ironic parody and subversion of a Norman Rockwell, Life MAgazine (1940s-1960s version) illustration.

I think Ellis is right in all respects...including the Rockwell comment...as we know, Rockwell was a photographer who illustrated, bringing that hyper reality I mentioned. I think we're seeing a Photoshop exercise here, and I think it's more insightful about children and modern people than Rockwell was capable.

I don't think the depth and scale could be accomplished in one shot with any one lens...

I remain interested in the specific lighting...evidently strobe, evidently not soft box, possibly small umbrellas..and there's some sort of tonal post processing...

The same photographer did the shots down the left side of the page as well of other families that look a bit more spontaneous and with

similar lighting - at least on the indoor shot. I think the main shot could've been done in one take - but I could be wrong too!

Funny, my boss did this kind of effect when shooting Geek Squad ads a couple of years ago. How was the shot done? Solid

lighting skills and a LOT of post work in photoshop ie: shadows/highlights, saturation, unsharp masking, and tweaking the

curves.