NX Capture Software with D300

naveen_sachar

I have just ordered my D300 with the 18 - 200 VR lens. Does it come with the full

version of the NX2 software or a trial version? Any recommendations on any other

software to open and edit NEF files. I have a D50 and Photoshop CS2 and could

not open NEF images in CS2. I am new to shooting RAW and editing. Thanks.

You should ask the store you buy from. Sometimes it is a good idea to ask first

and then order. This would give you more room to talk about a deal.

Not knowing the store you ordered from I assume probably no one here works in

that store.

Your second best bet would be to ask Nikon of whatever country applies.

Most likely you have the privilege to pay the upgrade price from NX to NX2.

i bought a d300 from Wolf Camera back in the spring. It came with Capture NX v1.3, along with Nikon Transfer and View NX. The Capture NX was a "one license, one copy, standalone", meaning i could install the app on one system, and then register it. Once registered, its good for as long as i run the system. It is not a trial version, so i dont expect it to drop dead, like it would for a trial version.

I understand that Nikon has already posted a Trial Version of NX Capture ver 2 out on their corp website.

I dont know if new d300 purchasers are getting the same version i got, or if they are getting version 2.

It is my understanding Nikon never bundled NX2 with any of their cameras. Basically they gave away NX, knowing (well, hoping) that most people would want to upgrade when NX2 is released.

If you just want to open RAW files, ViewNX is still available and it's free from Nikon.

As far as I know, the free NX program was for the first some 300K D300 bodies. That ended around April 2008. Of course, if you get one that has been sitting on the shelf for a while, maybe you can still get it.

At the moment, anybody can get a beta trial version of NX2 without buying any Nikon cameras.

This morning I bough my D300 in B&H. It comes with only one software CD containing the ver 1.3 of Capture NX. At the wizard setup, there is the option to install it as a trial, to buy the license or to enter the registration code which is in the CD envelope. The option that I selected.

Thanks for the postings. I am new to photo.net and this is a great website for amatuer photographers like me. I ordered the camera from BuyDig - I have had great experience with them in the past. B&H did not have it in stock.

I want to open, correct and print RAW files - I presume I can't do that with View NX.

D300 NEF files can't be opened with CS2 because the latest version of ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) is not supported . You must upgrade to CS3 for this or use the (free) Adobe DNG converter to convert the NEF files before opening them in CS2 for processing.

Purchased my D300 on May 12th, 2008. As written earlier had the Nikon Transfer, View NX and Capture NX software included, one license only on the View and Capture. The Nikon website has more advanced versions for download.

After reading many posts on many websites, came to the conclusion that I needed Nikon Transfer to download the D300 images. View NX was a bonus, but decided to load NX2 60 day trial straight from the Nikon website. I read more than one post that suggested uninstalling the NX version before loading the NX2 trial. That helped my decision to load NX2 trail without loading NX.

".... that I needed Nikon Transfer to download the D300 images. "

No! No software is needed to transfer images from the camera to the computer if you are running Windows XP or later. You can directly download from the body or you can place the CF card in a cheap card reader and download from there. The camera (if in the right mode - see manual) and the card reader show up in your explorer. Just copy from the source to any destination like your hard drive.