Rotary processing

enric

I know there is already a thread about rotary processing, but it talks about LF.

I just bought a Chromega dual-action agitator... This motor inverts the spinning

direction every given amount of time. I think that I could be more convenient

for B&W than the normal unicolor rotary processor.

My idea was thus, to use it to help me getting rid of a huge bunch of B&W 120

and 35mm rolls that are in waiting in the "to be processed some day soon" queue.

Obviously it's main purpose will be B&W 4x5 and 120mm C-41... maybe also 35mm

colour but I'm not quite sure if it's worth the effort.

My questions:

Where can I find tables or whatever about the developing times (B&W)?

Anyone has experience with this type or normal Unicolor processors and 35mm (B&W)?

Thanks for the answers :)

I will post my own experiences after the initial trials (I will start as soon as

I get my new set of unicolor drums and some long patterson tanks).

I use a Jobo ATL-1500 for automated processing, and I think it's the best thing since

non-nitrate filmstock! :)

I find that my developing times are 15-20% shorter than the intermittent-agitation,

small-tank times published by Kodak, Ilford, and others. Even for the rotary

processing times, I'm usually 5-10% less, probably due to the prewash this machine

recommends.

Answer is, start with about 15% less than the manual-tank times and fine-tune.

Won't take you long to work it out.

Ron is correct,

I've been using rotating drum processing off and on every sice the Unidrum was first introduced. The processing is much better than any other system.

A decrease in b/w developer time of 15% has been standard for decades, however, don't change andy of the secondary solutions, these are to completion only anyway and there will be no harm.

I personally prefer the Unidrum and other systems that are straight line and reverse. there are some with a "lop sided" excentric driver that causes the developer to shift side to side as well as normal rotation. I don't use them because they sometimes cause streaky processing.

Lynn

I have to agree with most with what everyone has posted. So now you have a starting point. If I were you I would go out and shoot and run a film development test to home in your developing process. When I got my hands on my Sidekick film processor I ran just about every developer and film and made mad notes. Now I'm just keeping it real simple and stick to two of my favorite developer and film and the results are stunning. Good luck with your process.

I use a jobo rotary unit. As stated above, reduce processing times by 15% as a

starting point. I do not like the reduced processing time so I have taken to following

Jobo's recommendation of using a 5 min rinse cycle before development. This allows

for close to standard processing times.

• 3 weeks later...