Hand holding 70-200 F2.8L lens

After a few hours you swear to join a gym and start weight training, but it is doable. Pardoxically handholding is easier with a 1D-class body (better balance) than with a smaller rig, even though 1D3/70-200 combo is heavier. Keep in mind, that in many situations (shooting from a fixed position) you can use a monopod, and that helps a lot.

I handhold both the 70-200mm IS and the 300mm IS. It takes some getting used to but if you're right handed (and right eye dominant) just support the lens with your left hand with the elbow locked against the chest. I have never been to a gym and I can comfortably shoot for a long time.

You will want to work on your holding/shooting technique though. And a monopod is very nice to have as well!

I carry a Nikon body with grip, and their 70-200/2.8 in the field. That's also a pretty heavy rig. A four-section carbon-fiber monopod can hang off of your belt all day, no problem, and when you want relief from the fatique, or the extra steadiness, just have a quick-release mount on the zoom's foot. Works great.

But I carry a hand-hold a rig of those proportions all the time. It is indeed a nice little upper-body workout. Nothing wrong with that.

I had to hand-hold it for >2 hours at a cycling race last year when I forgot my monopod. My arm was sore for the next couple days, and after half an hour it can hurt, but it's doable. Although at 6'0" and 125 pounds I'm the strongest guy, so others can likely do it more easily than I did.

Thanks for the input, I'm a house painter so arm strength isn't really a problem. I'm surprised that there are a lot of hand holders out there. My brother uses a monopod for the 400 5.6, dragging around a monopod would seem to be more of a bother then trying to handhold the lens so I'd rather not do that.

David Johanson, "support the lens with your left hand with the elbow locked against the chest."

That's my favorite technique. I've got at best average upper-body strength and I shoot (many) full days hand-holding my 100-400mm IS on my 20/40D, and regularly do the same with both the 300mm f/2.8 and 500mm f/4 on a 1DIIn.

The 400mm f/2.8 - now that's a different story... ;-)

I generally use a Bogen 680B monopod. It gives me much better control and my shots are sharper. It also make panning easy. The Monopod also is a nice walking stick and helps me balance myself when I need to get into arkward spots for the angle and shot I want. The 70-200 f2.8 is is an awesome lens! Have fun!

Dave

I have a 70-200 2.8 EX and find that casual handholding gives me poor shots. I need something to steady up against, monopod, a wall or parapet. The lens itself is sharp, it's just I'm not steady enough at 1/500th. On the other hand the 100-400LIS, is for me, easily hand holdable giving sharp images at 400mm and shutter speeds below 1/400th. (even pixel peeping at 100%).

I use the 70 to 200F2.8L hand held for a whole day and carry a second body usualy with the 85 F1.8. This is my most used combination, usually once every other weekend for about 8 hours.

Sometimes, I use a monopod inside, but that is rare.

I use the 70 to 200F2.8L mainly on a 20D: I added the battery grip for better balance: lack of balance was the very first issue I noticed.

I too tuck the left elbow into my left ribs.

I also leave the mounting ring on the lens: it sits nicely in the flat of the palm of my left hand leaving, the tips of my left hand free to work the zoom ring.

I think general arm and body movement and moving the distribution of the weight throughout the day is important. You might ponder and consider this point, as in your trade, you are actually moving your arms quite a bit throughout the day: It is silly to have the camera and lens cradled in the ready position all the time, though I see many photographers doing exactly that.

I think the continuous ready position tires the operator prematurely, both physically and mentally and certainly does not allow complete absorption of the surrounds, which is important to `see` other photographic opportunities.

Also, walking is very important, even if it is in a small area, or if impossible rocking on the feet up and down on the toes.

Avoidance of any static position is important to ensure coming out physically OK, after a long day carrying a medium rig, IMO.

Handholding this lens (and other non IS lenses) also can promote rampant self competition, and result in improvement in shooting technique, if you are predisposed to a challenge, and perhaps a little madness . . .

:)

`What is the slowest shutter speed I can pull?`

WW

I'm 68, and I hand held my 70-200 f2.8 IS for two weeks in the Galapagos and for many other day long shoots. I hated carrying it, complained that it was heavy, but each evening when I looked at what I had shot, I was thankful I had taken that lens. My other favorite? a 400mm f4 IS DO, much heavier than the 70-200, still mostly hand held, and I love the photos. Don't let a little extra weight keep you from great pictures...

I've been doing it since the 70-200/2.8 L first came out in...1994-95 or somewhere back then. Often with two (usually film) bodies, a 28-70 L or similar and other stuff and I've lived to tell about it. You can certainly do it and it's certainly a much cheaper and lighter choice than the IS version.

The new Tamron 70-200/2.8 is a little smaller, a lot lighter, and focuses down to 95 CM or 36 IN if that sounds interesting to you. I'm sure it would be easier to handhold and carry.

And, if you can find one and can live without the 2.8 and USM, the old 50-200/3.5-4.5 L is an extremely good lens. Much smaller (58 mm filters), much lighter and focuses to 1.2 meters or 4 feet. I still have one for sunny days.

I am a 67 year old who does over 80 auto races a year with a MarkIII, 70-200 F2.8 IS (I never use the IS). The combination is heavy but you get used to it. The only problem is at Cup races where there are long green periods and you are holding the camera at ready for long periods of time. Then the biceps start to ache. By the way, the 70-200 F2.8 is the only lens to use at a track esp at night.

It is really a conditioning problem. Get yourself some 10# dumbbells and do some curls. And don't listen to these other belly achers about the lens being to heavy.

I am still trying to get to grips with the concept of 6' and 125lbs personally.... Leopold,

for goodness sake, have a sandwich or something!

I have both the 70-200 f2.8 IS and also the f4 non IS version. Both are handholdable

without too much difficulty, but if there is decent light, my f2.8 version invariably stays

in the bag, I love the handling of the f4 lens as you never have to think about it or take

a break.

Tis not that bad. However, I'm left handed and use my left hand to cradle the lens, so perhaps I'm not the best to go from.

I think the best thing to do is to take frequent breaks, and either carry a monopod, or do some trials beforehand to make sure.

I really don't think anyone can answer this for you, it depends too much on your own strength/stamina/situation.

I am 6'0" and 195 lbs. and handhold (no monopod) the 70-200 2.8L all day too (cycling races, 4 hours). I don't have a 1D though. I have done a few hikes where I trudge with this lens but then I generally carry a heavy tripod. :(

(and for those that think [previous thread] a 24-70 and 5D is too much, please work out more, it's nothing... I routinely do hikes with lots of gains/losses of elevation for 3 hours holding that lens/camera and a small day pack (sometimes with the tiny 85 1.8 in the pack)

I just bought the Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR around Easter. One of the big reasons I got the lens was my trips to Dover International Speedway for NASCAR events. I spent all day Friday in the pits carrying the lens, another body and lens and my photo vest full of other gear. It is a little heavy, but was not an issue. When I wasn't using it, I was cradeling it in the crook of my elbow and body (as you would a baby) or and the lens resting on my shoulder while holding the body in my hand.

I did use a monopod in the afternoon for about an hour.

One thing I have to say - THE IMAGES ARE WORTH IT. I am talking tack sharp (even the smallest decals) while panning cars doing about 160 mph.

Jim