How many Prints should I offer ?

hjoseph7

There are successful wedding photographers who shoot thousands of images at a wedding. There are successful wedding photographers who shoot hundreds of images at a wedding--even less than a hundred, if the wedding is very short. The key is--each photographer is paying attention to his or her clients and fulfilling his or her contract (what the photographer promised in style AND number) with the client. There are reasons for shooting a lot that have nothing to do with level of photographic skill. There are reasons for not shooting a lot that have nothing to do with level of photographic/artistic/PJ skill.<p>

Harry--if you can make your numbers work, do it. The test is--do your clients buy your product? If so, I guess you are successful. If not, change your product.<p>

<b>MODERATOR NOTE: THANKS NADINE FOR THE BEST ANSWER YET ON THIS ISSUE<p>

I'VE EDITED AND DELETED HEAVILY IN THIS THREAD. PLEASE SOME OF YOU GO BACK AND READ THE GUIDELINES. UNCIVIL BEHAVIOR OR RESPONDING UNCIVILLY TO RUDE COMMENTS IS NOT ALLOWED AND DETERIORATES THE MESSAGE AND THE THREAD. EMAIL ME PLEASE IF SOME ARE BEING HEAVY HANDED AND/OR UNCIVIL. THANK YOU. <p>

MARY PEARSON BALL</b>

Yikes indeed.

I forgot to post my comments I had in respect of Amy`s postion, here:

`Those brides who want only the traditional posed shots along with the bread and butter ceremony/reception shots usually want far less* [fewer images] than those who prefer a more photojournalistic style with lots of candids and detail shots. Of course you can only shoot so many traditional shots but the opportunity for candids is endless because people do amazing things every minute of the day and especially at weddings.`

* [fewer images] is my understanding of Amy`s meaning of `wanting less`.

I agree that, in the separation between `Formal` and `Photojournalistic`, generally there will be more scope for more shots in the `Photojournalistic` area: but, remember that many Weddings have a period set aside for the `Formal Cover`, the posed B&G and Wedding Party and Close Relations etc: this is a request from me 95% of the time. This is what I referred to in my post above as the 60 Formals.

The remainder of my coverage is what I refer to as the `Story Book`, and whilst it has some intervention from me, from time to time and therefore cannot be referred to as `Pure Documentary Reportage`, it does have linkage between the images and contain its own motion and flow.

My Assistant Photographer will take more a third eye view, mostly purely candid capture, except at the Church, where sometimes I will make special requests of him, because of local rules or Chapel size or low light, etc.

I specifically wanted to address these comments, because they flow from the first post where there was mention of working very hard when shooting over 2000 images, which were later culled. And that was linked to implying that perhaps taking only 300 images was not, as difficult a job or did not require as much hard work.

Later on in the thread, (as often happens), this `amount of work` perception being equated to quantity output was picked up upon and was morphed into packing up bags and sitting on one`s bum, tucking into the food for the night.

The original comment was honestly and openly noted being by one with the experience of only one Wedding:

In that regard, please note, I totally understand the sentiment, intent, and passion of the original comment, by Amy. So when Amy reads this, to her, it is a genuine comment for her digestion and consideration, and perhaps growth; just like my comments to her about `where is the ball` . . .

Make no mistake: I work excessively hard and with 100% focus and Dedication to extreme Customer Service to produce my 400 digital and 60 film images, which amounts to the average output of my total Wedding Coverage.

If any particular coverage requires more images it gets more images: I carry enough cards and film to shoot about 4 to 5 times my `average`: and, moreover I a have a 135 SLR a 45mm snub with enough film to cover the whole wedding again, just as backup.

And mostly I work with an Assistant Photographer, who carries enough cards to do about three Weddings.

I have very little tolerance for Professional Incompetence or Mistake from my staff and less tolerance of any Personal Error.

There are many ways to skin a cat, and many elements to doing it. As I stated plainly earlier, I do not care how many images any Wedding Photographer takes: I encourage all to satisfy your clients.

But, IMO it is very silly to think that quantity equates to hard work, or for that matter, quality.

And it is sillier to think that quantity will, of itself, necessarily give the results to address the requirement of the client.

WW

WW, You are great and I do have the utmost respect for you and I take your comments with the highest of consideration. I apologize for starting this thread.. a hem. Had I left out that little number, possibly this thread would have gone nowhere but then what would be the point of this forum. I apologize Harry- if you are still reading this- for implying that your pure number of shots equated to a lack of quality and that was not the intent of my original response. The part of your post that bothered me was the attitude that all those shots sounded like a lot of work. What is important when undertaking anything is your approach, whatever it is. Do it and do your best.

My answer is a little long only because this isn't an easy question. However, I will add that the number I shoot depends on the client. I've learned several disciplines and incorporate accordingly. Within my ability I shoot photojournalistic, artistic, traditional, a little fashion, and still life styles in any given day. I ask my client's to tell me what it is they envision when they are looking through their album/ images after the day is done. In my experience, different requirements are necessary to successfully document the big day, and I allocate my time and the number of exposures between the aforementioned styles to meet the customer's needs. That said, I will say that PJ leads to a higher volume of shots. Also, in my experience when I push off into the artistic side I tend to shoot a little more, only because I like having a backup in case the customer likes the scene but not the treatment in post which dictated the original exposure (meaning aggressive exposure, shallow depth of field, extreme angles, etc.) Also, (little OT) I don't add too many of these types of shots on my site and keep it 'middle of the road' in an effort to attract a broader base. This I am rethinking this though.

ANYWAY, back on topic, all of that said I can typically tell a story in 100 - 200 pictures. Now, an example of a recent wedding I ended up with 1253 shots after culling out approximately 60 outtakes. I provided the customer with a page of 200 shots

These same 200 images go into their 4x6 'proof' album that also holds their DVD's. This particular bride and groom really just wanted documentary coverage, the must have formal portraits, and a documentary style photo walk that let me catch them enjoying each others company at a distance. This is my comfort zone,and allowed me to visualize my shots and particular scenes which reduced the number of outtakes at the end of the day. However, if they wanted more artistic (very subjective and if I miss the mark I have a bunch of photo's they won't like) I would have shot a lot more, rapidly adjusting shutter, aperture and perspectives to ensure that any gap in my idea and their idea of 'artistic' is covered; hence, much more volume.

Also, having more than 400 images opens up the options when creating customized photo books

I've seen some photographers put more than 20 images on 1 page! So, once again, it depends on the client's needs, their intention of use for the final produce, and your offering and restrictions of their use.

I know this is a long way around answering your question, but hopefully you will derive from all of the input here that there is a balance between style, customer's needs, workflow and man-hours, and potential product sales (based on current and possible future offering) that will define 'your number.' ;)

My two cents. Wedding photography is a business. Thus the concern should be what will the customer buy? I found out that a good pre-wedding interview would let me know what the customer is looking for in coverage. Depending on circumstances, 2000 images might not be enough and 200 images could be sufficient. I'm in Maryland and lived just down the road from the late Monte Zucker when he was living in the area. As luck would have it we used the same lab and he always had his work displayed (one reason I got into wedding photography - his work was inspiring). One day I was talking to an assistant that was dropping off a wedding shoot. There wasn't (by my memory) more than 25 rolls of 120/220 film.