Algorithm to critique

PN has two topics for the raters: Aesthetics and Originality. Each person

however may interpret these words differently. When it comes to critiques you

are on your own. <P>

I used to wonder how, when and whom to critique. Slowly I am developing a

method and hope you can contribute more facets to this mosaic. Here is the start

o the algorithm:<P>

1: Know your limitation. Be cognizant that your critique is only as good as your

knowledge of the subject. There may be people more experienced than you. Present

your critique as suggestion. Then there may be almost lay people so keep it

simple. <P>

2: I just love this picture: It deserves acknowledgment of the fact as an

encouragement to the photographer. Simple comment ムWow, lovely, wonderfulメ will

do here. Accolades are in fact a confirmation of photographerメs achievement. It

builds confidence. Remember if it is good to receive it should be good to give. <P>

3: I love it for its so and so attributes (e.g. color, composition, sharpness,

doff, topic framing and so on): This will help photographer concentrate on the

strengths. <P>

4: I know the flaw in this picture and I know how to fix it: Tell it as a

suggestion. <p>

5: I donメt like what I see and have no clue as to how to fix it: keep quit and

move on or say the whole truth. You may get an answer and learn something.<P>

6: I really hate this picture for whatever reason: Keep quiet and move on unless

you like rebuttals. <p>

7: I am intrigued about the picture and wonder how it was done? Acknowledge

your fascination about the picture and then ask. Most will oblige. <P>

8: I donメt like the subject. Move on to things you like. Time is a wasting. <P>

Please add to the list. Thanks and best regards ifti

Iftikhar;

The amount of thought you have given to this subject is well above the norm.

We would all be well served to receive such considered critique.

I would add or more realistically concur, that a balance of strengths and weaknesses in the image is important to point out. I find that even the most ill conceived images have some strong points to commends them and still the most resplendent photograph could always benefit from a suggestion.

Gordon I agree with you that any photographer who has invested the time to to take a picture resize post it has some thing to share with others. Unfortunately all of us cannot see one's point of view. This should come under the categoryof, ' if you don't get it move on'.

Aesthetic relating to its beauty but to me it is the response you get in your mind by looking at it. And each person will have a different response on a given 'stimulus' it also is affected by the mood one is in. <P> Originality an original design that you have not seen before or a different angle on a known subject. To me it is 'out of the box' thinking. Both of these terms are subjective and being such the rating is always subjective. <P> I saw a picture that was so so to me then I looked at the ratings and they varied from 3-7 To some people it evoked more beauty and newness than to me. The responses are modified by individual experiences training, knowledge cultural and other differences, call it bias if you will. I think Gordon has a very valid point that every post has a strong point however not everyone looking at it can appreciate that strength.

I think you have put together a very good rule of thumb here and I like your underlying attatude which is to build up rather than to tear down. It also runs contrary to the notion that seems to run strong on PN; that 3/3 is the answer.

Best regards.

P

I agree with Iftikhar, I have learned over time. Most people welcome constructive critisism and are very open to it. Leaving a 3/3 doesn't have much value other than to say I don't like it. Sometimes I put things on the forum that I know are going to be beaten up. But I don't get any feedback just the 3/3's. I wish I could motivate feedback with these but I think many people tend to want to only leave "nice shot", "awesome job", "nice colors", "nice dof" on and on and on. I do it too, but I think there are times when I see something, maybe I don't understand or I just don't get, I try to find a way to say something constructive.

I have also seen postings where there's a mix of 3's and 7's. Somehow there's a real disconnect. I'm not saying one or the other is right but that seems like quite a disparity.

Also, follow up can be important. I've mentioned things in comments and come back only to find that it provokes some dialouge with the photographer or with other raters. I love this aspect because I think this can also be a good learning tool for rating photos and understanding and interpreting the photographers mind and eye.

Wouldnl't it be nice if one had the power to insist that viewers express in words, their true feelings. I like this listing of suggested thoughts for what to think about and comment on, but as long as we have a numerical system, I am afraid almost all will use that, much too simplified, system of commenting. We might as well have four comments:

1 - I like it a lot.

2 - I like it.

3 - It is OK.

4 - I don't like it.

Of course such a list is of no value at all, really. I hope some day the elves come up with a winning system. Until then most of us probably won't comment at all . (I do, occasionally, but almost always it is a personal note to the photographer directly.)

Willie the Cropper