Lens for portraits and candids

chris_andro

In addition to the flash purchase of my last post, I am also looking to buy a new

lens for my D70s to shoot portraits / candid photos of the kids, friends, etc.

I an thinking of the Nikon 50 /1.4 or the Nikon 85 /1.8.

Any ideas or experience would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

The 50/1.4 is a very nice lens, but used wide open, it will give you a VERY shallow depth of field. You have to pay a lot more for that extra bit of aperture. The 50/1.8 is very inexpensive comparatively, and just as useful. The 85/1.8 is probably better for portraits, and can give you a little more reach for candid work. But ideally, you may want an f/2.8 zoom across the slightly-wide to short/mid-tele range. That's a lot more nimble for candid work. Between the two you've mentioned, I'd go with the 85 as a next stop. The 50's to long to use as a "normal" lens, so you might as well go long enough to have it really help out with more flattering portraits.

If you don't care about wide angle stuff, and portraits & candids are your main purpose, then probably a 28-70mm f/2.8 would be a good lens for you. You get the zoom range for the candids and framing the portraits, and the f/2.8 for low light and isolating your subject.

I think the Nikon 50mm f1.8 would be the lens for you, Chris. Its very sharp and I

actually prefer its performance to the f1.4 version. On a DX format, you will get an adequate angle of coverage for portraits. However, for candid shooting it may be a

little long or at least it would be for my style of shooting. Try it first, anyway, and see

how you like it. Its inexpensive ($120), and a nice addition to anyones kit.

I second the recommendation for the Nikon 24-85 f2.8-4.0 AFD for just about everything. This was my first lens with my D100 and after using it on a D200 and now D300 it's ever better. Mine is very sharp from 45mm to 85mm. Even after purchasing several other lenses (50mm f1.4 AFD, 60mm f2.8 AFD, 85mm f1.4 AFD, 80-200 f2.8 AFD) it still gets used about 80% of the time. I even tried the 35-80mm f2.8 AFS and the new 24-80mm f2.8 AFS and other than wide open at the 24mm focal length my 24-85mm was sharper. Yes sharper; at least from a subjective point of view. And now with being able to fine tune adjust the focus per lens on my D300 it seems even sharper at +8 adjustment. I would not hesitate for the price going for this lens. Great value and even though it's not a "Pro" lens the build quality has seemed pretty good to me. I've owned mine for 5 years with no problems. Knock on wood.

For portraits I would lean towards something telephoto, such as the 85mm primes,

preferably longer though. I actually use the 70-300mm at the 200-300mm setting for

portraits once in awhile and it's great. It blurs the background nicely and gives you

distance between you and the subject which can make people more comfortable. I

set up a remote SB600 on a stand if needed. For candids, I use either the 24mm

F2.8D and more and more the 35mm F2, which has become one of my favourite

lenses. (These are all on a D200)

I have the 50mm F1.8 and find it's not wide enough for candids, nor does it give me

enough distance or background blur (I do not shoot wide open, but rather F8 or F11

on a long lens as I want everything tack sharp but the background blurred).

The D70s limits you a bit at high ISO. For low light dinner parties you really want the 50/1.4. The 85 is wonderful but a lot harder to hand hold, assuming you are going to be shooting about 1/30-1/60 in low light.

My problem in shooting candids in better light, however, is usually some distraction a couple of feet behind the subject, just close enough to be nicely in focus. After dozens of hours editing in photoshop I finally bit the bullet and picked up a used 105 F2 DC. Problem solved.