Maintaining consistent exposure?

This might a dumb or awkward question, but I'm going to ask it anyway. I've been reading and

studying everything I can about exposure, and for the most part I get it. But on an engagement

shoot I did yesterday evening, I kept wondering why I seemed to have to constantly adjust my

exposure through out the shoot. The outdoor light was fairly even, spots of sun here and there, but

it seemed like my photos were either too dark at times or too light, and sometimes right on target.(

I realize that the LCD screen is not always accurate, so I try to use the histogram as much as I

can.)

I was mainly trying to shoot in Av priority, and was using sport metering which is something I

hadn't been doing in past shoots. The spot metering, that is. But the exposure seemed be fluctuate. So I switched spot metering to normal and it seemed to help some.

Anyway, I'm just wondering is it possible to get some consistency in exposure so that I'm

constantly not having to fumble around with camera controls when I'm taking shots? I really want to

take more control of this aspect of shooting so that I can concentrate more on composition and the

like. I'm thinking I should be able to set my camera at ISO 400, f/5.6 or so, Av priority, and keep

the Tv at above 125. Is this possible in a normal fairly outdoor shoot? Hope I'm making sense here.

Consistent exposure usually comes from metering manually. Spot metering tells the camera to pay attention to a very small part of the scene... so a darker bit of clothing, or a shadow on a face will have it thinking the whole scene is dark. Likewise, spot metering that lands on a bit of white clothing or a sunlit part of a face will be convinced that the whole scene is very bright, and down comes the exposure.

Try spot metering on an 18% grey target, see how your histogram looks (should be a dead-center spike) and then manually set your exposure to what the camera came up with. Adjust a bit from there as needed.

The best tool for consistent exposure of people and groups is an hand-held incident light meter. An incident meter is calibrated to give good flesh tone exposure from the light falling on the subject, and completely ignores the reflectivity of the subject. This is especially important for weddings and events where the dress is primarily black and white in various proportions.

If you use flash as a fill, you can often leave it on TTL, but set the camera in manual or aperture priority. For most consistent results, the flash too should be in manual mode, measured with a flash meter or by trial and error.

I use a tripod for formal groups and set the focus mode to manual as well. That way I can focus once by hand without focus-recompose action, and can stay engaged with the subject without continually peeping through the viewfinder.

It sounds like you are shooting in JPEG format? You need to research and learn how to shoot in RAW. JPEG is like shooting slides, and locks you into a narrow dynamic range. RAW is like a negative, and allows many adjustments. RAW captures can be adjusted for things like exposure.

Matt, I think you're on target about spot metering and black or white clothing because that's

exactly the outfits the couple wore. First black shirt and then nearly all white outfit. So the

metering seems off. I didn't know that was a reason. I've never read about the point you make

spot metering and dark or white clothing.

Steve, I did shoot in RAW (thank god!) and that's helped a lot with the shadows and highlight

issue. In fact, these are among the best engagement photos I've taken. I'll post some later.

However, I just like not to not fool around with the controls so much and just shoot. I realize that if

I can keep my subjects in even light if would help greatly.

Edward, yes I could have used fill light (maybe shot through a diffuser) on many of the shaded

shots. But I'm always afraid that I'd take too long setting up those type of shots for my clients. It

would be different I guess if I were working with a model and had an assistant. I tend to shoot

pretty free form on engagement shootsラcapturing portraits as I go along.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. It's been very helpful.

"Try spot metering on an 18% grey target, see how your histogram looks (should be a

dead-center spike) and then manually set your exposure to what the camera came up

with. Adjust a bit from there as needed."

This really sounds useful. Need to practice how to do it. Would using a grey card be

helpful or should I try to locate a grey target in the scene where the photo is being

taken?

Bakari: While an incident light meter, as Edward mentions above, is the most ideal tool, you can make very good use of your camera's own meter with something like the <a href="http://www.laurphoto.com/prdr/lastolite_ezybalance.asp" target="_blank"><b>Lastolite Ezybalance</b></a>. In its simplest use, yes, it's a grey card. That can help you with both the metering (it's exactly the 18% grey that your camera wants to think of as dead-center of your exposure), and it can help you after the fact, as you process your RAW files, to get your white balance dead on. As a bonus, the flip side is white - which makes a very nice little reflector. They make various sizes... I've always been in good shape with the twelve-inch version, since it collapses down to a very small package in my bag.<div>00PkkJ-47717784.jpg.0fb43fcaf86aa052d04e6edb226632df.jpg</div>

Bakari,

You seem to have missed the point, which was to set the exposure in manual mode based a reading to produce exposure for the faces, disregarding the clothing. I prefer to use an incident light meter, but a grey card and reflected reading (using the camera) would work as well.

What I said about flash is that if you use it you can usually get by with the TTL flash setting rather than using a flash meter. I use fill flash all the time as a matter or course, without an assistant.

I'm gonna practice with these tips. I've seen a video about the great card and I'm gonna

review that. If I can learn to use it without fumbling around with the camera that would

help. Just yesterday I was doing a video shoot and noticed how the photographers got

through their outdoor group portraits much faster than i would have. they didn't spend

much time fumbling with controls.

Again, appreciate the feedback.

Shooting in Av mode was your problem. In Av mode, you pick the aperture, and the camera picks the shutter speed. It will pick different speeds based on the scene, that's why some photos were underexposed and some over.

As others have mentioned, meter your scene first, put those settings in (using manual mode), and you can shoot away without changing your settings. If the light changes you will have to remeter, but if it stays the same you won't need to change anything.

Electronic SLR's have this "live exposure readings" that drives allot of people batty including me. With manual mechanical cameras we never had that problem. You took an exposure reading of a subject and the needle or diode or lcd locked onto that reading. I think you should just ignore the "live exposure readings", 1/2 a stop here, 1/3 a stop there is not going to dramatically change things much.

Looking back on the shoot, guys, I really think it was the spot metering that was

causing the confusion. But I am starting to practice more with the full Manual control. I

do use the LCD/histogram, but I must admit that the LCD screen on the 30D is not my

favorite. I've gotten spoiled by the larger LCD on my Canon Powershot G9, so I guess I

now have a better excuse for getting a 40D or 5D.