Canon XSI - 1st shots

dave92029

My Canon XSI body arrived today and I snaped a few photos in the house. I

recently sold my two year old 30D on eBay to upgrade to the XSI. My initial

impression is that the AF is faster than the 30D and I like the light feel and

handling of the body. The right hand grip and shutter relase redesign are a big

improvement from previous Rebels that I tried. The more expensive 40D has more

features but I don't believe that I need or would use the extra performance, so I

decided to save a few hundred dollars and approx 10 oz. in weight (I'm not as

young or as fit as I once was).

I just set the iso and aperture and took a few shots. I know that both the camera

and I can do better once we get to know each other better,

Your comments are appreciated.

http://jack-the-cat.smugmug.com/Photography/534012

Thank you

Dave

The XSi looks like a real winner albeit certainly not inexpensive by current standards.

Canon upgraded it enough the only thing I'd miss is the QCD (seem to ride it a lot!). I'd

be attempted if I didn't already have a 5D and 40D. I just spent the last 3 weeks

humpin' my 40D/BG-E2/EFs 17-55 2.8 IS USM and 220EX around Europe. Did put a

dent in my shoulder after a few hours. Was starting to evny my wife's XTi. However,

save a rare European trip, I normally don't carry a body for 10 hours straight.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I have also received a XSi this week which I am trying out. My point of reference is 40D.

So far it appears that the AF of XSi is noticeably weaker compared to 40D. This becomes more evident in low light. It is accurate but hunts more and gives up more easily.

The other thing is that at ISO 400 the noise in pictures is visible at 100%. Nothing major and easily correctable but it is there in all pictures. I would say that I expect similar level of noise from 40D at ISO640 or 800.

I know that reviewers are raving about XSi performance and IQ as comparable to 40D, but so far this does not appear to be true

"So far it appears that the AF of XSi is noticeably weaker compared to 40D."

9 cross type sensors vs 1 can do that sometimes. The AF capability (and accuracy) of a camera as the weakest link seems to be missing from discussions about image quality.

Zafar Kazmi , Jun 11, 2008; 02:22 a.m.

I have also received a XSi this week which I am trying out. My point of reference is 40D.

The other thing is that at ISO 400 the noise in pictures is visible at 100%. Nothing major and easily correctable but it is there in all pictures. I would say that I expect similar level of noise from 40D at ISO640 or 800.

I know that reviewers are raving about XSi performance and IQ as comparable to 40D, but so far this does not appear to be true

>>>I don't have a 40D, 5D or 1DS to compare to but if you look at the photos in my attached gallery, several of my photos of Jack the Cat are at ISO 400 and they are sharp, and I sure don't see any noise.in the attached photos. Do you?

The bottom line for me is if I don't "See" the noise, then therefore it doesn't exist.! LOL

If I said the attached photos came from a 40D or 5D could you tell by looking at the photos that they really came from a XSI?

I hope you enjoy your 40D as much as I'm enjoying my XSI.

Dave