Spyware on PN

RickDB

No, the problem is that particular ad server is (very frequently) running on fumes, and being non-responsive. It's just another web server out there, and script on the PN pages is set up to ask your browser to run off to that ad server to fetch some of what shows up on the pages in order to pay the bills. If that third party's web servers are running like mud, your browser can spend a lot of time appearing to be slow and waiting for the overall page to finish.

Photo net can't make that go faster, but perhaps they could limit the rotation of ads from that particular publisher until they can get their act together.

Well, I had the same thing come up yesterday and my spyware detector came up... it's pretty accurate. I closed the browser immediate as the ad yield was trying to run a script... really bad. Please take this seriously. I was going to say something but I couldn't remember the name of the server that popped up.

Every anti-malware utility I've tried tends to err on the side of caution, flagging innocuous (if irritating) ad servers as threats, while overlooking actual threats. I've set the defaults in mine to ignore photo.net's ad servers, cookies, etc., because they aren't threats.

SUPERAntiSpyware even misdiagnoses an ordinary Irfanview DLL as a threat.

Michael: Countless legitimate web sites hand scripts to your browser all the time. Many features - everything from Flash-based galleries to the menu systems on CNN's web site - would break if the server couldn't ask your browser to run scripts. In this case, the script runs on your browser and just tells it to in turn run out to the ad serving web site and fetch the ad. It's benign. Your malware detector is probably complaining because the script seems advertising-related, not because it's a script, per se.

Yup, what Matt said. My system is set up to request permission for every script. Photo.net causes no problems but auto-run scripts on some websites, particularly news and media related content stuff, will crash my browser several times a day. The hazards of limping along with WinME on a PIII. But it ain't malware, per se, just ware for which my creaky PC is mal-adapted.