Full-frame prints from 35mm negatives

I'm having trouble finding a lab that makes full-frame prints from 35mm negatives

on Kodak Endura paper. Maybe other papers are good too, but I have heard that

Endura is better. For full-frame, Miller's has only 4x6 and 20x30 prints from

negatives, unless they scan the negative and print from the TIFF file. A&I looks

like the best solution so far, because they can do whatever I want, including white

borders, but nothing bigger than 12x18. Are there any other labs who support full-

frame 35mm prints from negatives?

Welcome to the world of contradictions. It's pretty much the same thing as hot dogs coming in packages of ten, and hot-dog buns in packages of 12 (or whatever). The 24x36mm format was chosen for reasons having to do with doubling the 35mm motion picture image, and had nothing to do with either European or American paper sizes, determined in their turn by historical factors relating to such things as "quarto", etc.

I guess in the end, this is why many people choose to print their own. I suppose you could "flesh out" a scan of the 35mm to the proper paper dimensions with a border and then trim the print when you get it back?

I cheat labs that will not cooperate. Paste a 6 1/2 x 9 1/2 on a white 8x10. Make

them the same resolution first.. Flatten the layers. Give them the file. You receive

back a 6x9 centered on an 8x10 with large white borders on the top and bottom or

however I position it.

Photoshop Elements will do this easily. You need two layers.

I have noticed that whenever a lab scans my negative, the resultant print is not quite as sharp as a print made from the negative. I have not tried a drum scan or a scan from an Imacon 949, yet. Miller's can print full-frame with borders on their "Enlarger" type of prints, but that costs a lot more than their "Ambassador" prints. A&I prices are in between both extremes of Millers.

even apertures in enlargers are "slightly" cropped.

I think there were a few "full frame" enlarger film holders.

or people often suggested that you file out the nerative holder aperture.

so. even if you do your own prints, there is no guarantee you will get the whole frame. Possibly it's just lazyness as an exact aperture would require careful adjustment, which may be beyond the ability or the average commercial photo employee. ( ok guys you can howl now)

I have a Gantz 4 x 6 speed ezl, but i dio not think anyone EVER

made or sold 4 x 6 paper.

possibly the early japanese 24 x 32 or 24 x 34 format made more sense.

but kodak killed that my only offering slide mounting for 24 x 36 images.

this was a generation before 35mm color negative film .

the hot dog / roll comparison is good.

There used to be a firm that sold after-market slide mounts. It was Heindl's "Masks 'n' Mounts, Inc" of Vermont. I can find no trace of them today on Google, but they offered slide mounts that showed the full slide without clipping (specifically #449) along with an incredible array of masks and mounts.<div>00PjOg-47289584.jpg.cd418779d6feaa0028b0c1c483869f3b.jpg</div>

Guess you just have to ask around, to know for sure. Ask if they can print so that a small part of the transparent area around the image prints too, like a frame. Then go from there to telling them what you actually want, they'll tell you what they can do about it.

I can't help it...

...I can eat lots more hotdogs if they don't have buns -- but of course, who wants that? Maybe it's better just to take the extra bun(s) and mash it around, compress it into a small little shape. For example, see if you can actually make, by hand, a round ball that will roll correctly across the kitchen table. In other words, play with your food a little....