Microphen 1+1 for HP5 @ 1600 -- some questions

Hi,

I have used Microphen for HP5 rated 1600 ASA in an UNdiluted stock solution and

liked the results.

But I was wondering what results people have gotten when pushing HP5 to 1600

in Microphen diluted to 1+1? How did that look?

And, just as important, how long did you leave the film in the 1+1 Microphen?

Please do not refer me to the Massive Development Chart -- there is no time given

there for HP5 rated 1600 for 1+1 Microphen.

Thanks in advance!

Best,

Peter

I wouldn't recommend using Microphen 1:1 with HP5+ at 1600. You will get even more grain. If you have to use the Microphen at 1:1 then try using Delta 400 or Tri-X. I think TMZ and Delta 3200 both look better at 1600 than any of the 400 films pushed to 1600.

It will be a bit grainier, but will still work fairly well. Give it a try.

I agree with Jeff regarding other films. HP5+ was never my favorite for pushing. It began to get grainy even by 800, more so than Tri-X or T-Max 400.

One of my favorites is TMY at 1600 in Microphen. Stock solution works best but still okay at 1:1. I've even pushed it to 6400 and got usable results.

The 3200 films have a completely different look from pushed 400 films. I often prefer the tonality of the pushed 400 films. There are several examples in my portfolio illustrating the typical looks.

...Heat it up.

12 minutes at 75 f.

(19 min at 68 f. which I have used, extrapolated with a time temp chart)

Grain is a function of time and the faster you can develop something the less grainy it is.

Heating it up should help, but your contrast curve will be steeper.

Good luck, don't be afraid to experiment!

Alexander,

This isn't the first time I've read that developing b&w film at a higher temperature and for a shorter time reduces grain. I have never seen this myself. There was also a theory that shortening the "wet time" reduces grain. I haven't seen that either. If I used the same time and temperature on two rolls and shortened the rinsing time by using Perma Wash with one and just rinsing the other for a longer time in water, the grain has been the same for both.

I haven't seen any indication that within normal ranges the temperature has any effect on grain. My last darkroom was difficult to maintain at a constant temperature. I used the same developers from 65-85F, adjusting time to suit.

Overdevelopment will exaggerate grain. Time, temperature and agitation techniques are all factors. But elevating the temperature (within reasonable limits) alone has no apparent effect on grain that I've seen.