Ilford SFX IR film

jake_v.

I am looking to purchase some rolls of Ilford SFX 200 speed film and I was

wondering if it needs to be kept cold until it is used and devleoped like most other

IR sensitive films. That will determine if I should spend the time and money to go

pick up the film or if I purchase it via internet. Thanks!

I used it without keeping it cold and I can say that it didn't affect the results, though I'm not a hundred percent sure as my results still came out ugly because I used a semi-manual camera (aperture priority) so they they were over-exposed. Some were exposed correctly by luck, and I don't suppose they had any problems.

Just a question...but don't you need a filter to shoot IR film? If I am remembering correctly, it's some sort of red filter - <a href=http://www.shutterbug.net/equipmentreviews/film_darkroom_gear/0208efkeir/index.html>#092</a>. Would that give you ugly results?<p/>I've never shot IR film. After reading an article about the Efke stuff in Shutterbug a couple of months back, I got intimidated and forgot about it. I also concede that it's not the SFX; which, if I understand correctly, isn't a true IR film - it overlaps the IR and the visible red spectrum. <p/>Anyone? Do I have this right?

Yes, you do need a IR filter with SFX. I don't recall the #, but it's opaque.

SFX is a near IR and IMHO, much easier to work with than standard IR films; no focus change and you can load in daylight.

Fun stuff. Bracket your exposures until you get it right. I don't keep mine cool and only use in summer when green foliage comes out white.

SFX200 isn't an IR film at all. It does give a IR look with a red filter.Without that filter, it's like any B&W film. As Jim said, easier to load, process, no need to change the focus. But if you want infrared, this film might disappoint you.

Exactly. SFX is not, repeat not, an infrared film. It is a film with extended red sensitivity, out to about 750 nanometers. Because of this, you can get a pseudo IR effect when using it with a very deep red filter. It is insensitive to longer wavelengths. To get the most effect, you need a filter that passes light at 750 nm. The truly opaque filters that pass only longer wavelengths will yield nothing. Please read the tech sheet for the product here, and it will answer almost all your questions. http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/2007651134552223.pdf

Hopefully not too long. I shot some at a friend's wedding this past Friday (May 30), but

they weren't patient enough to sit thru the whole roll, so I have 12 shots left. We have a

wine cellar in our house which is cool, but a little damp. Is that bad? Otherwise, the

basement stays cool naturally, so I could store it there. Or the whole camera in the

fridge...

Jake V: to answer your specific questions; yes keep it cold.

To comment on other remarks made:

SFX is an infrared film.

Visible light goes to 720 nanometers. SFX goes to 740nm. It is labeled a, "near-infrared film." "Near," meaning an area INSIDE the IR spectrum but close to the visible light we see, (as in it is, 'near,' the light we see) not, "near," as in it is close to being an infrared film. It IS an infrared film. The only criteria for being an infrared film is that it must be light sensitive inside the IR spectrum, which is 720nm or higher.

If you slap a Hoya R72 filter on your camera and use Ilford SFX it is going to look just like IR. I know because I have done it.

Other infrared films, like Kodak's HIE, Macophot 820, Efke 820, Rollei IR, go to about 820nm, which the exception of the now discontinued HIE, which went into the 900 range, and Rollei is somewhere lower like SFX.

So you see there are varying degrees of IR sensitivity.

IR filters are designed to cut off the visible spectrum. If you use a hoya R72 filter the film is only going to record IR light, making it an IR film.

Here is Macophot 820 IR film shot with the 6x4.5 format.<div>00Pija-47157584.jpg.fc18a2eab1d7f6eb88200f15d2e6279b.jpg</div>