becoming a authorized dealer

If I may be devil's advocate here: Why?!? Canon / Nikon dealers are a dime a dozen.<p/>There are two questions to ask whenever starting any business:<ol><li/>What's special about my business?<li/>and So what!?! (explain why folks will shop with you. And if you say I'll sell cheaper. There is <i>always</i> someone that can sell cheaper than you. <b>Never</b> compete on price.)</ol>

Even if you could establish a dealership without a brick and mortar business location, why? You cannot compete with any mail order shop on price alone.

Instead, sell the cheap stuff like filters, lenshoods, straps and whatnot. The margin on those easily exceeds 50%. On the 'big boys' cameras and lenses it is less than 5%. That's tying up a lot of money on no profit.

• 2 weeks later...

We are a Nikon & Canon dealer in Florida with an eBay store. eBay will end up with 5 to 7% on a SLR camera sale,

and you'll be lucky to cover your cost. As Mark has pointed out, the margins on SLR's is in the 5-7% range. We

would never run a camera on eBay except now and then a used one. If we were not in the PRO lab business, we'd not

ever sell a camera. As one who has been at it for 50 plus years, I'd suggest that you collect great images, then

lay back and enjoy life. In the fall you can watch the Gators play football on TV. Tim, have some fun, and forget

the camera business - Please !