Current climate

Recently, I've seen some comments that seem to indicate at least some people are

hesitant to post on PN because of "the current climate." Is this of no

consequence, just another way of complaining about 3/3 ratings, or am I

oblivious to some change in the community? Just wondering.

Some people will (and do) complain about anything and have very fragile egos.

There are other photo sites where you'll get nothing but praise for your images. For those of a sensitive nature, those sites might be more appropriate than photo.net. They'd be a lot happier and we'd get less complaints.

They say the climate's heating up, in general. I guess I miss it all because I don't use

the ratings system, so I hadn't even noticed the change in climate here at PN. I wasn't

hesitant to post to say this, but maybe here's where I'll get yelled at!

I can't imagine why you'd get yelled at, Beau. For what? Like you, I stopped using the rating system some time ago, and I've been much happier. I so much prefer getting comments - *including* criticism - I'm here to learn, and getting numbers doesn't help.

Not only is what Bob said true (according to Seltzer, that is :) ) but were it not for folks stepping up and saying what they *don't* like, I wouldn't likely learn much. Praise is nice, and I think we all need it, but it doesn't do much to promote growth.

If the climate is mainly due to complaints about the rating system, I'm sure that will wax and wane as long as there is a rating system. And I think PN should keep the rating system, otherwise those folks would have to (and would!) find something else to complain about.

I HATE YOU, BEAU HOOKER! Kidding, I just didn't want you to feel let down.

I tend to leave a lot of verbal feedback on the critique forum, some of it critical but worded as tactfully as possible. I have never had a negative response from someone, quite the opposite in fact. I generally leave it with selfish motives, hoping that they will in turn look at mine and leave comments that will allow me to see a better way and thus grow.

I think more public flailings of the complainers would do nicely. JR

I am fairly new to PN and just getting into photography. I love to hear comments, even though there is criticism. This is how I learn by hearing the good and the bad. The rating system helps but does not give me the full picture of what is right or wrong. I find it is so subjective, for example one person will give me a 3/3 and another will give me a 6/6 on the same picture. Comments are more constructive and helpful. For me, forget the ego, I just want to learn from the pros.

Ken Sorensen

Most websites experience variations in participation. Photo.net is no different. I've seen a lot of ups and downs here over the years.

Keep in mind there's a lot more content competing for people's attention and limited time now. Many people are blogging who didn't do this even as recently as a year or two ago. When blogs first appeared several years ago they seemed mainly confined to webheads and angst-ridden youngsters. Now they've revolutionized interactive communication in ways that the familiar discussion forum paradigm did not.

Faster computers and internet access have accelerated the pace of such diversions.

So it's not just that other photo sites are drawing activity away from certain parts of photo.net or any other photo site. It's everything on the web.

On a typical day, I have browser windows opened to photo.net, one or more radio-related forums, an IRC, one or more e-mail accounts, Google, various news pages, just plain goof-off trivial stuff and, on weekends, a boxing related forum to keep up with the night's fights.

A few years ago if I'd tried to do that on dialup, I'd never get anything done anywhere. Well, I don't get much done anyway, but at least I'm doing nothing much faster.

It sounds logical that if you critique others you will get some critiques back. If you only do accolades you will only get the same back. If you do constrctive critiques you may get similar critiques. Exception to the rule is that you happen to post only superb pictures with 'Awe' factor that gets people's attention.<p> IMHO one factor which may be playing a role is lack of feed back on the critiques from the recipient and this may discourage serious time consuming critiques.

may simply represent THE CLIMATE.

No matter what we do, some will hate it or hate us (3/3), our Mom's will always love us (7/7), we will be irrelevant to the majority (4/4, or no comments at all) ... and to a few, comments will follow.

A wise person once told me: "the only thing that really will suprise you about what people think of you ... is how infrequently they actually do".

<i>"the only thing that really will suprise you about what people think of you ... is how infrequently they actually do"</i>

Spot on!

And to Iftikhar: You are (IMHO) so correct about the lack of response to a critique (a well thought out one) being discouraging of future expense of time on critiques. While I'm perfectly fine with not mattering in general, as Thomas so eloquently pointed out, it is a bit discouraging if I spend time to try and give a good critique, only to never know if it was seen, helpful, appreciated, or not. That doesn't usually happen with people with whom one has established at least a minimal PN relationship.